[GUI-Talk] Speech cannot be silenced in JAWS 2019 with Remote Desktop Connection

Brian Blair brianblair at polarblairs.org
Fri Jan 25 07:29:07 UTC 2019

Hello,

Nearly a month ago I sent an email to Freedom Scientific Technical
support regarding this issue and the only reply was the automatically
generated message thanking me for contacting technical support. So I'm
wondering if anyone else here has experienced the following issue with
JAWS 2019 and Remote Desktop.

I am running the December release of JAWS 2019 on Windows 7 64 bit
machines.  When I initiate a remote desktop session with another Windows
7 machine, all works as expected for a time.  Then after a few minutes
of being connected in Remote Desktop to the remote computer, JAWS speech
can no longer be silenced by touching the control key, or any other key
for that matter.  The only way I've found to remedy the problem is to
unload JAWS on the remote (host) computer and then re-load it.  Then it
works properly for a few minutes and then speech once again can not be
interrupted.  If I load Jaws2018 on the remote computer, this problem
does not occur.

The issue doesn't seem to be dependent upon which JAWS version I run on
my local computer, that is 2018 or 2019.

I do not know if this happens with the November, 2019 JAWS release or not.

For now the only solution I know is to not run JAWS2019 on the remote
computer.

Brian