[GUI-Talk] My review of TurboTax mobile app

Rob Tabor rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 13 16:29:28 UTC 2021

Good morning friends and colleagues,

Yesterday I took the plunge and filed my state and federal tax returns for the very first time. My wife and I had previously used a CPA firm, but the expense of doing it kept climbing. So I decided to give TurboTax a try.

And visiting the website I discovered that TurboTax has a mobile app available, so I thought I would get it installed and check it out both for accessibility and usability.

After the Intuit account is created The new user has the opportunity to scan the backside of a drivers license or state ID to capture essential information contained in the barcode, which will then populate many of the personal information feels on the federal and state tax returns. Unfortunately, I was unable to do this without cited help because the camera lens Hass to fit within the corners of the barcode. Once our sighted friend completed the scan I was prompted to choose a marital status, but the icons were not properly coded so that all I got was the iniquitous ”button.” so again I had to rely on our cited friend to accomplish this task, after which she performed a scan of the backside of my wife’s photo ID. Of course there is the option of entering the data manually on the tax return, but having the available assistance to scan our photo IDs proved to be an enormous timesaver. Once the TurboTax app connected me to the IRS form 1040 I found the form itself to be very workable with the app except for one feature. All of the items on the return pertaining to income, deductions, and credits, featured a “learn more” icon which only produced a blank screen when activated. All of the screens in the tax filing forms feature a live tax advice button in the upper left-hand corner of the iPhone screen. However, I am unable to comment on it’s accessibility and usefulness as I did not make use of this feature.

Within a matter of minutes, I received both a text message and an email confirming that the IRS had excepted my tax filing. A few hours later I received the same message in regard to the filing of my state tax return. I found this feature to be very reassuring that I had filed the forms correctly.

My purpose in composing and sending this review is twofold. First, I wish to encourage those who are apprehensive about filing your own tax returns to make use of this very powerful tax filing resource. Secondly, I hope the accessibility issues which I have cited will be brought to the attention of the program designers at Intuit. Remember, you have until the end of the day on Monday to get your federal tax return filed, and most of the states have also extended their tax filing deadlines as well. Lastly, rest assured that if you encounter difficulty in completing the form and you see you will not be able tomato May 17 filing deadline, TurboTax provides access to the IRS form which enables you to request an extension of time.

I hope you have found this review to be both encouraging and useful and I wish you many happy returns.

Best regards,
Robttabor and guide cane Raul Viii