[HIABS] The Future of Subminimum Wages in Hawaii

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Sat Apr 28 09:46:09 UTC 2018

Aloha, my Federation Ohana,

Our bill to end the payment of subminimum wages to workers with disabilities in Hawaii has died.

We made a lot of progress in educating members of the Hawaii State Legislature about this issue, and we have built many alliances across our state. It will not be difficult to get this bill reintroduced next year, but, if we intend to succeed next year, it will be up to us to participate more actively. A few legislative offices offered to me this evening to help us, in the National Federation of the Blind of Hawaii, train more advocates with the ability to talk to legislative offices because they want to see us succeed. This sounds like a great idea to me, and I would love to start doing some legislative trainings. If more members want to become more comfortable with the process, we can become more effective as a movement.

For now, we, the blind, can still be paid subminimum wages. The predatory employers can still exploit workers with disabilities while marketing their practice as charitable socialization and remedial job training.

Even though we did not get any bills passed this year, we still made some progress. I am proud to be a member of the National Federation of the Blind.

Mahalo nui loa,

Justin

Justin M. Salisbury, MA, NOMC, NCRTB, NCUEB
Legislative Committee Chair
Honolulu Chapter
National Federation of the Blind of Hawaii
Phone: 808.797.8606
Email: President at Alumni.ECU.edu<mailto:President at Alumni.ECU.edu>
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/justin-salisbury

"Once social change begins, it cannot be reversed. You cannot un-educate the person who has learned to read. You cannot humiliate the person who feels pride. You cannot oppress the people who are not afraid anymore."

Cesar Chavez