[HIABS] Tuesday February 6, 2018 NFBH legislative schedule

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Thu Feb 8 08:15:55 UTC 2018

Aloha NFBH Ohana,

A huge MAHALO to everyone who submitted testimony and appeared at the hearings!

In the morning hearing on HB 1627, the subminimum wage bill, we got the bill passed through committee with some amendments. The amendments are not good for us, but we can still celebrate the fact that we have kept the bill alive and moving forward in the House. Each bill is a vehicle, and we want to keep them all moving if we can. The next hearing will be with the House Committee on Finance (FIN).

In the morning hearing on HB 1928, the bill relating to a right to parent for blind persons, the committee recommended that the bill be deferred. In our state legislature, that is the equivalent of killing a bill. Now that this bill has been deferred, we have to focus on our Senate companion bill, SB 2208, and we have to hope that we can push it all the way through crossover and beyond.

In the afternoon hearing on SB 3023, a more comprehensive and robust subminimum wage bill, we were able to get the bill passed through committee with technical amendments. It is safe to say that this hearing was our greatest success of the day. Those technical amendments will need to be addressed during the next public hearing in the Senate Committee on Ways and Means (WAM).

We learned a lot from this experience, made more friends, and learned more about who needs to be educated about the truth about blindness. I will be back in touch again soon as we move forward. If anyone wants to reach out to me, please do.

A hui hou,

Justin

Justin M. Salisbury, MA, NOMC, NCRTB, NCUEB
Legislative Committee Chair
Honolulu Chapter
National Federation of the Blind of Hawaii
Phone: 808.797.8606
Email: President at Alumni.ECU.edu
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/justin-salisbury

"Once social change begins, it cannot be reversed. You cannot un-educate the person who has learned to read. You cannot humiliate the person who feels pride. You cannot oppress the people who are not afraid anymore."

Cesar Chavez