[HIABS] ALERT - Testimony Needed by 1:30 PM on Wed 2/21

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Wed Feb 21 07:53:15 UTC 2018

Aloha Federation Ohana:

It is time, once again, for us to submit testimony for a public hearing. We also need as many people and their Friends and families to show up as possible.

The attached empty testimony gives a basic overview of what amendments we need and then gives you the room to write why you want to end the payment of subminimum wages.

The office staff at the capitol taught me something at the last set of hearings. If it looks like a bunch of people used a similar testimony template, they assume that they're all the same and don't read them. They said they'd rather have folks just say what they want and give a few sentences explaining why. They know there Will be one or two big meaty testimonies that get into the nitty gritty details, and they don't need to see that over and over. If you want to adjust the fonts or anything, go for it.

So, what this means for you is that you are under no pressure to put together some really complex explanation or anything else, but please just write a few thoughts about why we should end the payment of subminimum wages to workers with all types of disabilities. Please just talk to the legislators like a person and submit it.

If you have friends testifying who are non-members of NFBH, then they can cut that part out of their signature.

Send testimonies to FINtestimony at capitol.hawaii.gov with a subject line that says "Testimony Supporting HB 1627 HD 1" so that the Committee Clerk knows what the email is before opening it.

Copying me will help me keep count.

As our Brand promise says, together, with love, hope, and determination, we transform dreams into reality.

Contact me with any questions.

Mahalo!

Justin

Justin M. Salisbury, MA, NOMC, NCRTB, NCUEB
Legislative Committee Chair
Honolulu Chapter
National Federation of the Blind of Hawaii
Phone: 808.797.8606
Email: President at Alumni.ECU.edu<mailto:President at Alumni.ECU.edu>
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/justin-salisbury

"Once social change begins, it cannot be reversed. You cannot un-educate the person who has learned to read. You cannot humiliate the person who feels pride. You cannot oppress the people who are not afraid anymore."

Cesar Chavez