[HIABS] Hearing Tomorrow - "Watch for the Blind" Signs

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Fri Mar 23 04:15:39 UTC 2018

Aloha everyone,

Today, our resolution in the Honolulu City Council failed.

I was the only person who submitted testimony in support.

The Director of Transportation, as I think his title goes, commented that he did not want to take action on removing the signs and that he would prefer to do a study first. He contended that blind people presented a liability to the city and that removing such signs would place the city at risk of liability for the resulting accidents where blind people were hit by cars. He said that those signs were there because of a history that we did not understand. When I asked him why we didn't have signs all over the island because blind people can go everywhere, he had no answer.

It is my hope that we will be able to influence his current attachment to prejudice and ignorance.

Councilmember Fukunaga told me that the City Council is generally unwilling to pass bills or resolutions if the departments which must implement them are not 100% on board. We should all be thankful for public leaders, like those in our state legislature, who have decided not to think that way about ending subminimum wages.

I want to end by thanking each and every one of you for making the decision to join the National Federation of the Blind. You have made the choice to reject the misinformation and misperceptions which exist in society. The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day, we work to raise the expectations of blind people because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.

Mahalo nui loa,

Justin

Justin M. Salisbury, MA, NOMC, NCRTB, NCUEB
Legislative Committee Chair
Honolulu Chapter
National Federation of the Blind of Hawaii
Phone: 808.797.8606
Email: President at Alumni.ECU.edu<mailto:President at Alumni.ECU.edu>
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/justin-salisbury

"Once social change begins, it cannot be reversed. You cannot un-educate the person who has learned to read. You cannot humiliate the person who feels pride. You cannot oppress the people who are not afraid anymore."

Cesar Chavez