[HIABS] Both Subminimum Wage Bills Passed with Amendments

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Fri Mar 30 08:14:28 UTC 2018

Aloha Melissa,

I am deeply confused by your message. I am almost wondering if your email account has been hacked.

This weekend, all over the United States, children will be hunting for Easter eggs, many of which contain more money than the hourly wages of some adults with disabilities.

As part of my role as a member of the National Federation of the Blind and the National Federation of the Blind of Hawaii, I am acting in accordance with the policy of the organization. As you may know, we have already passed resolutions at the state and national levels calling for the end of the payment of subminimum wages to workers with disabilities. At the state convention in 2016, we passed a resolution on this topic, and I remember the vote being unanimous. I think you were at that convention. It was the one which President Riccobono attended.

When we recite the National Federation of the Blind pledge, we pledge, in part, “to support the policies and programs of the Federation.” It is my hope that you, and all other members on this email thread, will support the position of our organization. We made a decision together, and we can now act upon it together.

You are gaining popularity in our organization for your work to expand our participation in community service, and I thank you for your work in that area. This popularity can amplify your message of support for our legislative efforts if you choose to support our legislative efforts. If you wish to oppose our legislative efforts, I would hope that you would do it privately instead of publicly.

When I speak, I routinely cite personal anecdotes, documented facts, data, and peer-reviewed research. If you wish to challenge the position of the National Federation of the Blind and of the National Federation of the Blind of Hawaii, I would be more than happy to sit down and talk with you about our organizational position. I have indeed been openly critical of the practice of paying subminimum wages to workers with disabilities. If you work with employers that do that, I have plenty of resources to offer you which can help them transition to a more effective model of empowering people with disabilities to live the lives we want. It is important for us to have allies in key positions to make change, and you might have the potential to be such an ally.

It is my hope that all future communications broadcast in front of the entire affiliate will be respectful and supportive, since everything we do is an opportunity to build the Federation.

Lastly, I want to thank the many members who have supported our legislative efforts in the year 2018. I really appreciate members like Shannon Cantan for demonstrating leadership and commitment to the Federation by jumping in to submit testimony for Tuesday’s decision-making quickly after I sent out the call for testimonies.

Mahalo nui loa,

Justin

Justin M. Salisbury, MA, NOMC, NCRTB, NCUEB
Legislative Committee Chair
Honolulu Chapter
National Federation of the Blind of Hawaii
Phone: 808.797.8606
Email: President at Alumni.ECU.edu<mailto:President at Alumni.ECU.edu>
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/justin-salisbury

“Once social change begins, it cannot be reversed. You cannot un-educate the person who has learned to read. You cannot humiliate the person who feels pride. You cannot oppress the people who are not afraid anymore.”

Cesar Chavez