[HIABS] FW: Please Submit Testimony - Final Hearing on Subminimum Wages in WAM

Virgil Stinnett 808virgil at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 19:33:14 UTC 2018

Aloha All,

Please continue to help by submitting your support for HB 1627 regarding
sub-minimum wages.

Remember that the goal is to end the common practice of paying people with
disabilities less than the minimum wage.  It is an 80 year law that needs to
end.

All other classes of people in our country are protected from this law and
practice.  All people should be paid equal pay.

If a community training program, is a training program then let them call it
as such, not call it a job and pay less than the minimum wage. Let those
programs then pay their clients a stipend and not call it a job wage.

Thank you to the legislative committee for their hard work;, a great job to
all whom have taken the time to submit their testimonies and those who could
show up to testify when you can.

PS: To all our friends and families please help us also.

Mahalo and Aloha, Virgil

Virgil Stinnett

NFBH Vice-President; NFBH State Affiliate Legislative Director; NFBH
Honolulu Chapter President

Begin Forwarded message:

Aloha, my Federation Ohana,

This is it! We are at our final hearing in the Senate Committee on Ways and
Means! It has been a long road to end subminimum wages, and we are SO CLOSE
to the finish line!

We need one last round of testimonies. They are due before 10:00 AM on
Monday.

This time, it is strictly a decision-making, which means that no spoken
testimonies will be accepted. It all comes down to what people submit in
writing.

Since there are no spoken testimonies, we also need some warm bodies with
white canes and guide dogs in the room. Don't be intimidated because they
won't try to ask you questions, anyway. They just want to see that you care
enough to come out for the hearing!

It is all a game of numbers. We need lots of people to submit testimony in
support.

The sweatshops are scared of our movement right now. The executive director
of one of them even approached me at work to give me a piece of her mind.
They might try to get testimonies to oppose this bill, so we need to have
more people than ever before, just to be sure that they don't have a
comeback.

I have attached a template that you can use if you like. You can send
written testimonies to WAMtestimony at capitol.hawaii.gov or upload through the
website at https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_indiv.aspx?billtype=HB
<https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/measure_indiv.aspx?billtype=HB&billnumber=16
27&year=2018> &billnumber=1627&year=2018.

Reminders:

1.	If you submit it via email, please put "Support" and "HB 1627" in
your subject line to help the committee clerk process it easily.
2.	If you use the attached template, please do not forget to delete the
text at the bottom, like "City, State, ZIP" after you type in your city,
state and ZIP.

Thank you so much for your support, and reach out to me if you have any
questions!

Justin

Justin M. Salisbury, MA, NOMC, NCRTB, NCUEB

Legislative Committee Chair

Honolulu Chapter

National Federation of the Blind of Hawaii

Phone: 808.797.8606

Email: President at Alumni.ECU.edu

LinkedIn:  <https://www.linkedin.com/in/justin-salisbury>
https://www.linkedin.com/in/justin-salisbury

"Once social change begins, it cannot be reversed. You cannot un-educate the
person who has learned to read. You cannot humiliate the person who feels
pride. You cannot oppress the people who are not afraid anymore."

Cesar Chavez