[Home-on-the-range] Things To Know Before Attending NFB NATIONAL Convention (Draft)

Sharon Luka pilgrim5 at cox.net
Tue Jul 20 03:10:12 UTC 2010

Hello Andrew and all!

Great article!

Sharon

-----Original Message-----
From: home-on-the-range-bounces at nfbnet.org
[mailto:home-on-the-range-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Andrew Chapman
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2010 7:27 PM
To: home-on-the-range at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Home-on-the-range] Things To Know Before Attending NFB NATIONAL
Convention (Draft)

I was thinking about putting something together to help future
first-time National Convention attendees and I thought I might type
something up while Dallas was still fresh in my mind. Here follows a
draft of what I hope will be of some use. Please, by all means, feel
free to comment, ask questions, or make suggestions.

---------------------

THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE ATTENDING NFB NATIONAL CONVENTION

First, before anything else is said, a few warnings:

There will be A LOT of walking (or wheelchair rolling) during the
week. The hotel will be big, and at times very crowded in parts. It
will also be pretty extremely expensive. (Think upwards of $500
minimum per person--likely double that.) and will likely run you out
of energy--especially if you take advantage of all of the seminars and
meetings.

That being said its worth every bit the hassle and expense--and then some!

Things to Know:

When you go to convention you either register or pick up a your
pre-registration packet (if you pre-registered online). I would
recommend pre-registering online during the month of May. It's cheaper
than registering at convention, and I it means you don't have to spend
a lot oif time waiting in a long line to register.

When you register (or pre-register, we'll use "register" as a generic
term for both from this point forward), you can purchase a banquet
ticket. If you choose not to purchase a banquet ticket, you can save
$40, but you will miss the hilighto of the convention. Don't worry,
you're not paying $40 just for the meal:-)

When you get your registration packet, it will contain a name badge
(yippee! Something else we can't read:) and your Initial banquet
ticket. The thing about this Initial ticket is it guarantees you food
(which you may or may not want to eat depending on the quality of the
catering), but it does NOT guarantee you a seat. If you want an
assigned seat you have to exchange your Initial banquet ticket for a
shiny new Totally Awesome banquet ticket. If you would like to sit
with the Kansas affiliate at the banquet you will want to have your
ticket exchanged along with the rest of the affiliate. to accomplish
this someone from our delegation will take everyone's Initial Okay
tickets during the first morning of General Session. This person will
then go and exchange them for Super Awesome tickets right after the
close of morning session and bring them back and hand them out during
afternoon session. Therefore, BRING YOUR BANQUET TICKETS WITH YOU THE
FIRST MORNING OF GENERAL SESSION.

When the tickets are exchanged for Awesome tickets is also the time to
indicate that you need a Super Awesome kosher or Uber Awesome
vegeterian meal, therefore when the tickets are whisked away, please
indicate whether you have need of such considerations.

I think that's everything we /have/ to cover. However, here are some
things that are also useful to know.

The hotel restaurants are outrageously expensive, trust us. There are
usually cheaper restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. You
have to get out and explore and they may not be quite as close as you
would like, but they are out there.

You can also bring your own food from home.

There's also bound to be a grocery store somewhere in that city we're
visiting.

That's all I can come up with at 1am. I got out the information I
wanted to put out there, but I'm not sure it's quite ready for the
2011 Orlando rookies. I'm sure there's something I've missed

--
Andrew Chapman