[Home-on-the-range] Legislative Forum April 23rd 2011

maryse figueroa marysefigueroa at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 20:49:49 UTC 2011

Federationists,
     I am writing the highlights of this morning's Legislative Forum, held
in Wichita KS.
Most of the discussion was around the Kansas budget cuts.
1  It seems that the 200 million dollars allocated to the department of
transportation will be funneled back in the general fund.  So, we in
Wichita, who have been waiting for para transit extended hours, will just
have to sit tight for the time being.
2-HB-2030 Kansas Compassionate Care Act.  This act legalizes Marijuana for
medical purposes only.  14 sates in the Union have already passed the bill.
I can hear high cries from ere from some people.  My job, at this point is
to report and your job is to advocate for or against.  But it is gaining a
lot of popularity in this sate.
3-  Illegal immigration was brought up and the need to show photo ID for
voting purposes.  I personally support voting rights for US citizens and the
only way to assure that one has the right to vote is to show proof of
citizenship.  Coming from Arizona, I understand the mindset behind this
inconvenience for most.
4-There were heated discussions about the cuts to HCBS,education, social
services, meals on wheels, Medicaid and the independence and dignity of
those who can live in their communities. Dove-tailed to this is the decrease
in funding for the mentally ill and further de- institutionalization.

    These are the highlights of this Llegislative Forum.  What affects the
Kansas budget, also affects us as blind people.
Thank you and I appreciate feedback as to the use and interest of such
reporting.
Thank you
Maryse Magnant-Figueroa
Home-On-The-Range Monitor