[Home-on-the-range] FW: [Nfbnet-members-list] We Are Making Progress in the Fight for Fair Wages

Stanzel, Susan - Kansas City, MO susan.stanzel at kcc.usda.gov
Thu Jul 28 13:04:39 UTC 2011

Hi Everyone,

We were successful!!!!

Susie

From: nfbnet-members-list-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nfbnet-members-list-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Pare, John
Sent: Thursday, July 28, 2011 6:40 AM
To: nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] We Are Making Progress in the Fight for Fair Wages

Fellow Federationists:

Our informational rallies were a great success yesterday.  I know many of you marched in very hot weather.  It was close to ninety degrees here in Baltimore, and I am sure it was even hotter in places like Albuquerque, Des Moines, and Casper.

We received significant press.  Our members were articulate, passionate, and persuasive.  We just received news that the August 3rd markup has been postponed until after the August recess.  Our objective was to either get Section 511 removed from the bill or to get the mark-up postponed.  We were successful!

Now that we have some breathing room, we will be working hard to get our proposed Fair Wages for People with Disabilities legislation introduced.  This legislation will phase out Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act, thereby abolishing subminimum wages for people with disabilities.

We will also be working to either have Section 511 amended or removed from the Workforce Investment Act.  We will keep you closely informed on all of this activity.

Yesterday, we successfully educated the American public, Congress, and the press that unequal pay for equal work is unfair, discriminatory, and immoral.

We are making a difference.  Our hard work is being noticed.  We will be triumphant.

John

John G. Paré Jr.
Executive Director for Strategic Initiatives
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND