[Home-on-the-range] Oct.meet the blind month

Floyd floydray1 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 15 19:50:17 UTC 2011

Here is the info page on our Up coming meet the blind month event. On Saturday, October 8, 2011 We will be white cane walking in the Kansas Sunflower Parade celebrating Kansas 150th birthday. We will have a table for info and fund raising. Volunteers and walkers contact Leonard Silkey myself  Floyd Ward. Moor details will fallow as they come in.  We will also be holding our chapter meeting after the Parade at the normal time of 1:00 at the Wichita Public Library. There is a rumor there will be two tickets given to the lucky participant to “Kansas: Home on the Range” concert with more than 60 musical performers featured at the concert being staged by the Kansas Chapter of the Western Music Association .

The Kansas 150
Festival: The Sunflower State’s Biggest Birthday Bash Ever!
 WHAT: The Kansas 150 Festival is
a daylong birthday celebration featuring the
Kansas Sunflower Parade; a fair
with historic reenactors, Kansas attractions and vendors of food, arts and
cultural products; concluding with a “Kansas: Home on the Range” concert that
tells the history of Kansas in song, poetry and video.  The Kansas 150 Festival is being organized by civic
leaders, and is endorsed by Gov. Sam Brownback, the Kansas Association of
Counties and the League of Kansas Municipalities.
WHO: Everyone in Kansas is
invited to join the thousands of people expected to participate in the state’s
biggest birthday bash ever, celebrating 150 years of life in Kansas.  Towns, cities, high schools, universities,
civic organizations, companies and re-en-actors are invited to put floats and
marching units in the Kansas Sunflower Parade to show off their unique part of
Kansas’ history and heritage. Marching bands from across Kansas – from high
schools, colleges, universities and the military -- are invited to help make
the parade a rousing, rollicking good time. Kansas vendors and reenactors are
encouraged to show off their wares at the fair.
WHEN: Saturday, October 8, 2011.
The parade begins at 11 a.m., followed by the fair at noon and the “Kansas: Home
on the Range” concert at 2:30 p.m.  Gov. Brownback and Wichita Mayor Carl Brewer will lead the festivities and more than
60 musical performers will be featured at the concert being staged by the
Kansas Chapter of the Western Music Association.
WHERE: Downtown Wichita.  The Kansas Sunflower Parade will march through
downtown Wichita and flow into the fair at Kennedy Plaza at Century II
Performing Arts & Convention Center, where the “Kansas: Home on the Range” concert
will be held in Convention Hall.
COST: Participation in the parade
is free, but registration is required. Tickets for the “Kansas: Home on the
Range” concert are $5 and may be purchased at www.wichitaTIX.com.  There is a $25 registration set-up fee for
booths at the fair, but that price includes two tickets to the concert.
BACKGROUND: Wichita Mayor Brewer,
president of the League of Kansas Municipalities, is serving as chair of the
Kansas 150 Festival and is organizing the celebration with Gov. Brownback, Overland
Park Mayor Carl Gerlach, immediate past president of the League, and Dodge City
Vice-Mayor Jim Sherer, the League’s president-elect, along with other business
and civic leaders from across Kansas.

HOW YOU CAN HELP:  To learn how you can become involved through
corporate sponsorships or to register to participate in the parade or
encampment, please contact Go Wichita Convention and Visitors Bureau, at
800-288-9424 or 316-660-6395, or by email to ks150 at gowichita.com.  Additional information can be found at ks150.org.