[Home-on-the-range] good info on finding employment

Dianne Hemphill diannehemphill at cox.net
Wed Sep 21 13:09:07 UTC 2011

I've run across another good article on job attainment that may be of help to those of you in the job finding arena...it is written by Stacy Saran (not sure of how to spell her last name as I listened to this on an old fastened cassette tape- I'm sometimes really in the olden days- but you can find this on the nfb.org web site). Stacy comes from Kansas and worked for 5 years as  an administrative assistant with Governor Brown back when he was in Congress. "Getting and Keeping a Job" is found in the latest special issue of Future Reflections focusing on teens. Future Reflections is the NFB journal for parents of blind children. This article is,  however, relevant to anyone looking for employment.  She provides ideas that are practical and relevant for  increasing your chances for finding  and keeping a job. She first addresses the need to have courage for getting out of your comfort zone: second, having a little faith in those that have advocate for our rights in the past: the next seems a no-brainer, having good skills, but as a former employer, I can assayer that this is critical and frequently applicants exaggerate their skills and abilities. Skills encompass both those technical aspects required for the work  it also looks at your personal and emotional skills. These include the soft skills, such as being on time, being receptive to expectations and changes, having an attitude that reflects well for the company/business and being and asset rather than that twenty percent of employees that requires a lot of employer  time with problems. Can you get along with others? Are you able to work effectively and efficiently with a team as will as on your own? Are you always on time with assignments that are accurate? Do you gossip and complain about others as well as your rumplier???Can you as a blind person, step into the job and do it or figure out how to accomplish the work without a lot of outside assistance? These are just some of the concerns an employer has when considering a new hire - remember it costs an employer time and money when they hire someone and it is in their best interest to make these decisions wisely. Stacy has additional thoughts that are worthy of thought and consideration...after all she was able to successfully work in many capacities in our nations capitol doing many tasks that others might identify as those only one with vision could possibly perform adequately. With our upcoming state convention focusing on employment issues, I thought some of you might want some additional reading/study materials. The NFB has a lot of useful materials available on line and from those of us who are currently working or who have worked for many years, would, I'm sure, be willing to assist you in your preparations. Love to hear from others that can share their interview and/or work experiences which might be useful for anyone seeking work. Dianne