[Home-on-the-range] …you may not be where you want to be, but the federation has helped you move from where you were…

Dianne Hemphill diannehemphill at cox.net
Tue Dec 18 18:01:24 UTC 2012

Hello federationists - Jack and I are back from a couple of weeks working on our tans in the Caribbean and I've listened to our News Line updates for both the Braille Monitor and Future  Reflections just this morning. I  often think about some of our challenges while out in the world and always  look forward to being challenged and motivated by our leaders and members via communications including our journals.  This months December Braille Monitor has a lot to offer but I'm going to focus on the 9th article by Pat Munson "NFB Philosophy and the White Cane..." It brings back some real challenges we faced within the Kansas Rehabilitation Center while fostering forward movement into a greater focus on real independence  for the blind. The time that a person has during their rehabilitation skills training is relatively brief in the perspective of a lifetime. An incremental implementation of useful, if not life saving, skills begins with simply having the Policy for always having and using the long white cane during the short training opportunity. If that sounds reasonable you may well be  puzzled  by those resisting this move ...  remember that the RCBVI had a long, long history of focusing  on using one's vision, whether it was practical or safe and having the choice of using or not a folding cane. Often, even the totally blind chose to use only sighted guide. Remember  this was a rehab program that said it prepared people for self sufficiency  and employability...This was the pervasive philosophy  of "client choice" that had been used for decades at the Center. It was easy for staff as they wouldn't have to insist client's practicing skills if they didn't want o... could easily feel good about their work by always offering escort services around the complex rather than the more challenging aspect of teaching...it is frequently more difficult for those in this field to step back and either give the person time to figure things out or provide assistance through an approach of asking the individual some questions about their environment so they can  begin the process of  of being more independent.

The new Policy of always having and using a long straight cane  met with a great deal of behind the scenes  rebellion from both staff, clients and even people in the community. One such outraged person in the community wrote to the paper about this mandated Policy of using the cane...there was a lot of confusion and misunderstanding because the public as a whole new this place worked with blind people and didn't blind people need to know how to use a white cane? The response  that I wrote went into   the Braille Monitor thanks to Susie Stanzel's efforts.  The students came to me yelling and angry as all get out,  and quite indignant at having to use a white cane and threatened to quit the program. I said that they were adults and if they chose not to take advantage of the program that was their choice. On the  other  hand, if they chose to participate  in the program, they would need to show up for classes the next day, cane in hand...Staff came to me and said we weren't going to have any students; that one in particular lived in a very rough community and the white cane would make him a target  to thugs; that they, the staff didn't know how they would put those long sticks in the car when they went out, what to do with the canes during classroom teaching or in the dining room ....and on and on. The next day all students showed up with cane in hand...nobody left the program after all of that drama. Blind Staff were encouraged to be better role models and to use their canes during work- this was hit and miss as  this could not be mandated. ..

One of the things we did with our kids during the summer youth program, called "VIEW" standing for visually impaired education and work - a program funded  and programed in partnership between the Center and those kids going through the summer program offered at the State School for the Blind. - was a skating party. Though the  skating rink was rented solely for our use, there was still an uproar from both staff  and students about having to use their canes while skating and going about the rink. Staff thought this was dangerous as students would trip each other...we had this huge facility and not that many staff and students so this could happen but it was more likely that they would plow into the walls, if they didn't use their cane... Some of our most out spoken students did use their canes and did a good job of flying around the rink. safely ..others tripped over each other when they refused to use their canes and did a system of those with more vision than someone else, leading  a group around the rink with a number of accidents, interestingly enough...  one staff almost suffered a concussion by skating free style, meaning no cane and finding the wall the really hard way...  I have many, many stories about our challenge of taking this first step towards becoming a more empowerment style facility  but thats enough for now.

My point is that we as blind people, particularly those within the NFB know the importance of changing a system that perpetuates dependancy.  Though we may not always  be successful, we must non-the-less try. Has our organization helped you move forward...are you making progress?... should you be sharing your perspectives of this gift of an empowered life with others? We don't expect you to necessarily  be where you want to be in the  journey  we call life...but know you have chosen to be with the federation because it has helped you think differently about your blindness and the opportunities you can have if you choose  to move forward... It's not so much about always knowing that  you will be successful in everything you try but that you try to do those things you want to do...don't sit on the sidelines waiting for your skills to be perfect, for your ability to read braille, write a meaningful e-mail or speak in front of people... this is your life right now and you can make choices about how you want to live it...this year think about New Year Resolutions that will change your life for the better rather than those same old ones that most likely  to be left behind  within 3 days - make some meaningful resolutions that will both impact you and other blind people and even the family that loves you and worries about you... our affiliate needs you.. we will take you from where ever you are and walk with you towards our mutual goals of true freedom for the blind... let us know how you want to make a meaningful difference  in both your life and for others wondering about their new found life as a blind person...the federation needs you and you need the federation. Best wishes for a   wonderful Christmas season and let us all join together to make  significant head ways for the future in 2013. Dianne