[Home-on-the-range] home management tips

Lynda lynda at sunflower.com
Tue Jul 17 20:04:11 UTC 2012

Hello to All:

The Telephone Pioneers make metal color tags that are to be sewn into
clothes.  They come in a variety of primary colors.  I have a sighted friend
sew them into my clothes, sewing in more than one color tag if a garment has
several colors in it.  If I am discarding a pair of pants I have someone cut
out the tag so that it can be used again.  Several years ago, I ordered
about twenty packages of tags.  They were free of charge then. I have
several friends who are seamstresses as are   their teenage daughters, who
learned from mom as part of their home school curriculum.  The moms will
often send the girls to sew in the tags.  Some time ago, I took the time to
sort all of the color tags into empty medicine bottles.  All of the tags
that say yellow were put in one bottle.  I labeled it with a Braille label
and then did the same with all of the other color tags and bottles.  My
sighted friend then wrote in print with magic marker pens the corresponding
names of the colors on each bottle.  I put all of the bottles in a large
Tupperware container and I keep them with my sewing kits on a shelf.  Now,
when there is "color tagging" to do, I don't need to sit there handing out
tags.  If a person doesn't have time to stay here and sew them in,  she can
take the tags and clothes with her and  bring them all back when the work is
finished.  There is a notch or pointer at the bottom of each tag which is to
be pointing downward with the Braille facing away from the sewer and the
wearer of each garment.  If the pointer/notch is pointing upward, the
Braille dots will be covered up by the fabric.  This happens occasionally
and can be fixed in a handfull of minutes.  One mom and daughter said to me,
"This is foolproof if I just watch what I'm doing."       Each tag has two
letter abbreviations for the color: bn = brown, bl = blue, bk = black, gd =
gold,  gn = green, gy = grey, or = orange, pk = pink, pp = purple, rd = red,
(or sometimes I have seen the ed sign used only for the color red,) sl =
silver, tn = tan, and wt = white.  They are tiny and you don't even notice
them at all.  The clothes are washed and dried with the tags inside.  Of
course, you don't have to organize your tags as I did.  Yes, it was quite
the investment of my time but it has payed off in great dividends for my
friends who sew for my husband Jim and me.         Hope this helps, not for
just a few days, but long term for anyone looking for a way to identify
colors they wear.            ----- Original Message -----