[Home-on-the-range] your story of literacy...

Dianne Hemphill diannehemphill at cox.net
Wed Jul 25 14:34:33 UTC 2012

Good morning all - I'm reading the braille edition of "Let Freedom Ring- Braille Letter's to President Barack Obama"  that I picked up at the most recent NFB convention in Dallas. This is a collection of 100 letters compiled and presented to U.S. Secretary of Education, Arne Duncan to give to the president, by  leaders of the NFB. (compiled by Daniel B. Frye).  This is an ongoing celebration of the 200th birthday celebration louis Braille's birth - the creator of the braille reading and writing system for the blind. ..and the redoubling concentration of effort focus on the promoting of braille literacy for all blind American's by the NFB.  It is a must read for all of us to better understand why we are placing such a high degree of focus on this foundation of blindness education. How many of us with a little bit of vision, and or deteriorating visual conditions were forced to struggle reading print materials? I was and most of those of you with any vision were likely to also do so.  How many of you gave up, lived in terror and shame that you could not read quickly or unless your face was firmly pressed closely to the page. Though I went through the education system in the 50's and 60's and was not offered braille, I do not see that much has changed in today's education of blind children with limited vision...perhaps for even those with no vision... Our stat's for drop-outs and unemployment and underemployment continues to stay the same  dismal outcome . This is with laws stipulating that kids that are blind (and that includes the majority of blind kids with some vision)  receive an appropriate education and equally ineffective laws for adults such as the ADA, stipulating that an individual with a disability be considered for the job if having the proper training and skills. The dismal plight of the blind  continues  with the incredible amount of dollars spent on special education and adult rehabilitation... so what is the problem? The NFB has long know that we as the organized  blind must be the ones to turn things around based on our collective understanding of what  it will take for us to attain a chance of   the American dream- and it begins with literacy. Literacy  for the blind focuses on braille just as print is the focus for the sighted. The future can only be changed with our realization of this crisis and our willingness to do something about it. Our national NFB leaders are focused on meaningful and measurable goals...one is to double the number of blind children to learn braille by 2015. With the educational and rehabilitation system stubbernly  stuck in the status quo  how can we as an affiliate help with this goal?  What is your story about being educated and what now, in retrospect  would have made a difference , if anything. To read these letters, go on line to publications within the nfb.org web site or order the book. There is also an article in the March 2011 edition of the Braille Monitor. This is a real crisis for the blind in our country...how can we help turn the downward spiraling travesty around. Braille is a civil right and there is a solid correlation between knowing braille and having employment.  Dianne