[Home-on-the-range] Hope for the Blind

Cindy Ray cindyray at gmail.com
Wed Oct 10 12:47:46 UTC 2012

Diane, that is a most fascinating story. I think I will share it, if you don't mind. I haven't had the chance to visit with Michael yet, but I do think this is such a good idea.

As I read this story, I thought of Dr. Jernigan. I had never been subjecyted to a training center until I came to Iowa. I didn't want to go to the one in Kansas, for I had heard plenty about it, including the fact that I might have to visit with a staff psychologist. I didn't feel that I needed that. I don't know how many of you know that I attended the school for the blind in Kansas City until I was a senior; then I moved to Iowa to live with my father. (Susie knew.) Here I was surprised to discover that the center truly believed in us, and the people who were "sighted", and this word is in quotes, had to wear sleep shades in their training. Here, unlike at school either in Kansas or especially at Vinton, Iowa, we were all equal. The people with sight had nothing on those of us who were totally blind. We were all expected to do the same things and do them like our sighted neighbors. I think some of that excitement has been forgotten here. A lot of blind people now think we have arrived, and they think some of the militancy of the NFB was and is uncalled for. They don't yet know the sting of  discrimination; once they do, they suddenly see wherein lies the hope, with the National Federation of the Blind. I hope that many will post here; there is a lot to learn from each other.

Cindy Lou Ray