[Home-on-the-range] FW: White House Disability Updates

Dianne Hemphill diannehemphill at cox.net
Tue Oct 16 17:55:35 UTC 2012

...very good question. I went back to the current October Braille Monitor to double check an  article written by Barbara  Pierce on just this subject. Interestingly, there is a presidential resolution passed in 1964 declaring October 15th as White Cane Safety Day. This comprehensive article even includes the "model White Cane Safety Law" in its entirety. As you review this historical document see if you can then answer the following questions:
1. Which president established October 15th as "White Cane Safety Day"?...what year?
2. Who wrote the model law which was then accepted by all states. Did this protect those blind/visually impaired persons injured and not using a white cane or specially trained guide dog?
3. Does this law protect blind, visually impaired people using a guide dog? Is there any responsibility that the guide dog user  has for the dog  if damages should occur?
4. Does this law cover any other disability group?
5. Does the "White Cane Safety Law" cover other areas of a blind persons life other than moving around the community?

Score yourself as "brilliant" if you can answer everything correctly before reading the article and a lifelong learner if you can do so after reading the article!

Did any NFBK chapter do anything special yesterday for White Cane Safety Day? If so, we'd love to hear about it. Dianne