[Home-on-the-range] SS- pitfall or stepping stone

Dianne Hemphill diannehemphill at cox.net
Thu Oct 18 12:09:36 UTC 2012

Good morning federationists - I may have  left you   wondering why we should attempt to do the hard things, like applying for work when sometimes we aren't able to do volunteer work.   Yesterday's note to you  relayed my frustration with the thought that I  am giving up my   volunteering because I'm sometimes  rejected or frustrated...that's not in my nature. I will continue, as I always have, pursuing opportunities to give back- sometimes it will work out and sometimes it may just not be the right "door" at the time and another door will open with more than I ever thought possible. I've always known that we, as the blind, must give more than the 100 percent that others may give in order to succeed  and have been willing to do that - never give up...my motto  has often been "if something doesn't work out - try something else". Maybe I needed more training, education or experience. One thing I never bought into was that I was possibly incompetent.  I was willing to do many jobs that others wouldn't do and work harder than some in order to get my foot in the door for opportunities that I wanted. We as blind people must know that though we have come a long way and have a lot of legal protections, we must still do the work...and better than our sighted counterparts to be taken seriously. Though I have been frustrated, just as all of you, without continuing  to try, positive things won't just fall into our laps...

In the June "Future Reflections", still on News Line there is a very important article, called Social Security - Pitfalls and Benefits...We've probably all experienced how SS can be a benefit to some and a stepping stone and then to others a curse. Dr. Jernigan often said that the most important thing the blind can have is "the right attitude". We're not amazing because we get up in the morning and we're not unrealistic  because we believe that we are prepared to contribute to an employer...This is another must read article.

Those of us that have worked need to share our lessons with those that are still wondering if they can be part of the work force. What have you learned? Can you share some ideas, stories, tips? Anyone out there besides Susie and Cindy? Let's help  each other, starting now. Dianne