[Home-on-the-range] Can Peace Prevail Amongst Blind Organizations?

Timothy Hornik timothy.hornik at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 02:32:23 UTC 2013

Susan,

I greatly appreciate your comments and look forwards to the next meeting in August. You are absolutely correct in the description of fear when different organizations are mentioned. I took some criticism from members of my own organization in other states when even mentioning the NFB or ACB. However, once I explained the situation in Kansas with various services, the light bulb clicked on.

Dian,

I see your point about your experiences with the Wichita IL organizations, as they have been echoed in other areas. As Susan summarized, I am probably a little spoiled with those offerings from Independence INC.

Unfortunately, the overall CIL system within the state receives state and federal dollars to provide assistance. This is not a hit against Alpha Point and envision, but rather a hit against Kansas for closing all of the state services for those blind individuals between the ages of 18 and 65. Then we have to rely on systems where employees and case managers might not have the experience to understand our situations.

If we are to change the services offered by CIL, the first step lies with the State Plan for Independent Living. Second is to become the "largest number of a disability group," as you stated. I realize that KAN-Care did a real number on some of the funding for services, and definitely showed the aims to dismantle the various social nets.

Please understand that I do not mean any disrespect towards the work accomplished by the NFB here in Kansas. Rather, I am an individual looking at the current state of Kansas and assessing the situation. Perks of being the new guy on the block is that you do not have the historical data, outside of dates events occurred.

It is one of my goals to fight for the rights of blind citizens. at local, state, and Federal levels. I have even notice trends with the VA system to scale back services by hiring part time employees, social workers with no concepts on visual impairments, and other service limiting factors.

As for blindness groups working together, that is my goal as well. The BVA here in Kansas may not be active, however, I am slowly changing that as their President. Hopefully this status may sway some elected officials' opinions. Furthermore, it is my prerogative to offer up what ever power I have to further our cause.
Thank you for your assistance,
Timothy Hornik
timothy.hornik at gmail.com
M: 785.330.3503