[Home-on-the-range] peace cannot prevail as long as Section 14 C is supported by other blind organizations

Dianne Hemphill diannehemphill at cox.net
Sat Jun 22 13:53:37 UTC 2013

Hello federationists- I think I am calm enough after 12 hours following last nights report from "Rock Central" highlighting sub minimum wage abuses...was anyone else outraged? The Goodwill International CEO, Jim Gibbons, himself blind, sat there glowing with pride as he discussed how he supported Section 14 C and how it helps "employees" set and reach their employment goals... Who sets out to make as little money as possible? Does he really believe this crazy perspective or is he willing to say and do whatever to protect his $429,000. income (2011)? As he sat back glowing with  self congratulatory pride,  he actually said that they provided great impact in terms of new solutions; in terms of innovations; and, in terms of job creation. I  ask, like what...)  He further proclaimed his defense of Section 14 C,  approach as it as it provided work experience which he believes is more important than the pay itself...It's typically not  about pay, he says, but the fulfillment; it's about being a part of  "something" and it's probably a small part of their overall program...what a condescending  jerk!!! Perhaps we should offer this same self fulfilling work experience for a few cents per hour to him...

To continue a bit further on the topic of whether  there will ever be a unified organization for the blind, I would say , not as long as this  abuse continues... . With some of our blind brothers and sisters willing to sacrifice their own, like Jim Gibbons, Hellen Keller's employment section, sheltered shops around the country  etc, it will take those that will stand up for what is long over do...minimum wage for all... In my many years of advocacy for the blind, I have never heard the ACB  say anything against such abuse as Section 14 C. In fact some of their members that I know agree with it and the "so called" right for the blind to "choose" where they want to work, and just consequently, most supposedly choose to work in sheltered workshops...some of them  say that this choice is because they want to work with other blind people.  Well, well, well, how very generous of them to not notice that almost all are  dirt poor with little opportunity to advance. Who would make this choice on purpose if there were other options?....

I went back and reviewed the articles in ACB's June and May issues of the Braille Forum and found not one mention of the outrage of Section 14 C. On the other hand  June's issue of the Braille Monitor, NFB's journal, has 2 very important articles about this long time abuse of disabled workers: (#3), "The Power to Live in the World", the opening speech, by Jonathan Young,  at the most recent law symposium, and (#4), "Compassion Can be Discrimination".  There also a number of "don't miss them" presentations during the upcoming NFB convention. For those of  us unable to attend this year, please plan to tune in via computer streaming as I will be doing.  This battle must be won and it will take all of us , who care about today's and tomorrow's blind, to do so!  Dianne