[Home-on-the-range] Cindy Ray - new chapter president - Des Moines

Dianne Hemphill diannehemphill at cox.net
Sun Mar 3 13:39:09 UTC 2013

Congratulations Cindy for your newly  elected position of chapter president of the Des Moines, NFB Iowa affiliate. The March Braille Monitor, Monitor Miniatures section, lists Cindy as chapter president as well as the other officers. Of them, I know Curtis Chong who serves as chapter secretary and Sharon Onvig, serving on the chapter's board. Cindy what an impressive group to work with!

Though Cindy now lives in Iowa, her heart also has warm memories of her time residing in Lawrence. She frequently communicates with us  via home on the range with her thoughtful insights and cheerful comments.  She also attends, at her own  expense, the NFB of Kansas state conventions whenever possible. I believe Cindy will be a wonderful leader as she has a world of experiences to share and a understanding of the power of communicating with others. Cindy was an early leader in the Lawrence chapter when she lived there - sorry Cindy I can't recall all of your many leadership roles ...however, I do recall that Cindy took on the very demanding job of editing and writing our then state news letter  called  "The Free State News" - is that the right name? Anyway, Cindy has always shared her time, energy and warm and cheerful outlook with others around the community, state and around the country. If you ever need   a little uplift or an encouraging  word or, even perhaps a reality check, give Cindy a call- she can help you rethink and redirect, if needed,  your path through some complicated issues. Cindy was also fortunately  a student of the Iowa Rehab Center when Dr. Jernigan was the director...the bar was high and Cindy has continued to lead the way for the blind. Dr. Jernigan would be proud of you.....I hope I got my memories mostly correct Cindy - if not, please correct. The NFB of Iowa is lucky to have you willing and able to lead the way - good luck and best wishes in your role as chapter president and overall great role modle for the blind!  - perhaps Kansas and Iowa can share ideas and  learn  from each other. Dianne