[Home-on-the-range] Can you compare learning to ride a unicycle with learning braille?

Dianne Hemphill diannehemphill at cox.net
Fri Aug 5 14:02:24 UTC 2016

Good morning federation family - once again an article in the Braille Monitor  spurs me on to  communicate with you on the ever present question (to some, anyway)  on the benefits of learning braille. July's, article, "Saying No to Reading Braille" is another "must" read. With the NFB view regarding the overwhelming importance for those who are blind, significantly visually impaired and/or likely to lose more and more vision, the argument continues among both blind and sighted on whether someone really needs braille in their life, especially in this day of technology.  The unicycle comparison with the option of learning braille,  is not as silly as you might first think  - read this article and find out why...
Our state affiliate just completed our first BELL academy - we obviously believe in the benefits of braille... ...so why are we so convinced braille is still so relevant and important today...this article takes a little different twist on how we approach the whole topic and though it appeared in the Braille Monitor about a decade ago, it is as relevant as ever. Dianne