[Home-on-the-range] FABULOUS 2016 convention!

Dianne Hemphill diannehemphill at cox.net
Fri Jul 15 12:44:19 UTC 2016

Hello fellow federationists - hope each of you returned home safely and had a wonderful time at this year's convention. I thought I'd share a few memorable things with you before I forget them...this was one of the few years in attendance without Jack but was so moved when President Riccabono included him in the list of those that the NFB lost this past year. ...I took 3 of my grand children and daughter Jacquelin and her husband Steve joined with us in the great happenings. Though most of you are well aware of the meaningful presentations during the 3 days of general session, I urge you to pay attention to Dr. Fred Schroeder's speech based on Dr. Suz's philosophy when it comes out; Raymond Kirzwell's genius,  as well as his  talks about his 30 years partnering with the NFB.  , is always thoughtful and insightful. In addition,  the entire atmosphere has been jazzed up with fantastic music intro's, fitness breaks throughout the general sessions and amazing live musicians throughout. We really have some fantastic musicians  in the NFB - if you get a chance find this year's Showcase of Talent to listen  to - it was incredible this year!

Other things that I  and   my grandchildren enjoyed were: the art room where "touchable" art and the artists were available; a really fun scavenger hunt called "NFB Quest". Team Dianne came in 3rd! Hopefully, next year Team Kansas will win. It took place on twitter and included NFB history, craft projects, travel challenges around the hotel and pictures with national and state leaders - thanks Rob Tabor for taking a picture with me and the grand daughters, we missed the "flash mob" at the coffee shop with president Riccabono.. but I was able to meet  him on an elevator - what a nice man...

My current challenge will be to learn twitter...daughter Jacquelin informed me that there was a lot of tweeting between President  Riccobono and long time federationists leader Diane McGeorge. following the convention..he asked how long she had been calling for door prizes? ...she responds in her ever cheerful way..."longer than you've been alive!" Also, Diane was offered her glass of wine on the plane with a lid and straw...that did not go over well! So here's  my goal...if Diane McGeorge, who is close to my mother's age can use twitter, perhaps I should join the fun!
Also, so nice to get with those I've known for years and get to  talk with some of our new folks - so nice to meet Luke and his wife and son...Anna, the Student's sale of those great nuts will mean there should be a lot more fitness breaks in the future! So happy to be with my NFB family this year.  Dianne