[Home-on-the-range] Senior's making a positive contribution

Dianne Hemphill diannehemphill at cox.net
Wed Dec 13 15:58:51 UTC 2017

FYI - the December Braille Monitor has 2 articles that help 	to solidify the importance of positive  blind role models, no. 15 and 18. The first tells about a blind grandfather making sure his blind grand daughter has the skills and most positive self image as she grows up as a blind kid. The second article focuses on the gratitude of a sighted mother on the benefits her blind son has gained from the Bell program. Here  in Kansas, 3 of the 4 volunteer BELL assistant Instructor’s were blind senior’s. I believe we can provide a positive role for both parents and children and often have more time for these critical roles than many of our younger members who  are caught up in the day to day demands of work, school and family. I know they would love the opportunity to also do this important work if they had more time. Tom Anderson, Sharon Luka and I  enjoyed every minute -  of the BEll experience and I know the program benefited from our contributions.  NFB Senior’s ROCK! Dianne