[Home-on-the-range] Technology Resources from NFBKS 2018 Convention

Mika Pyyhkala pyyhkala at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 20:18:58 UTC 2018

Hi,

As a followup to the convention, I wanted to provide everyone with
links to the resources that we discussed relating to keeping up to
date with mainstream and accessible technology.

Top Tech Tidbits
http://www.flying-blind.com/ttt_enews_archive.html
Popular weekly email newsletter providing links to many mainstream and
accessibility articles.  You can browse the archive or use the form on
the above site to receive the newsletter by email on Thursday
mornings.

The Mosen Explosion with Jonathan Mosen Sundays 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm CST
http://mushroomfm.com
An interactive internet radio show that incorporates music, community,
tech news, and listener participation.  You can also listen on an
Amazon Ech or Google home by asking the device to play Mushroom FM on
TuneIn.

AIRA
http://aira.io/pricing
pyyhkala at gmail.com
More information about AIRA including new pricing plans.  A new $29
plan for 30 minutes of access is now available.  If you contact me I
can also refer you for a free month of AIRA.  AIRA has adjusted its
pricing plans since we metat convention.

Blind Bargains
http://blindbargains.com
Provides blog articles, podcats, and an inexpensive classified add
platform.  You can also say to an Amazon Echo or Google Home "play the
Blind Bargains podcast on TuneIn."  They are about to release a
special Black Friday gift giving podcast.

The Nation's Blind Podcast
https://nfb.org/nations-blind-podcasts
An NFB podcast covering many topics including developments in
technology.  You can play past episodes using the link above, or
subscribe or play the podcast on your own device by searching for
Nations Blind Podcast.

NFB Presidential Releases
https://nfb.org/presidential-releases
Monthly updates in a podcast format from NFB's president.  You can
play current and past episodes or subscribe in a podcast application.
This podcast is also typically played at chapter meetings across the
country.

AppleVis | Empowering blind and low-vision users of Apple products
http://applevis.com
Provides articles, podcasts, and forums on accessibility of all types
of Apple products.  You can also read reviews and rate the
accessibility of apps.

Envision Workforce Innovation Center, WIC
https://www.workforceforall.com/
mika.pyyhkala at envisionus.com
The WIC focuses on accessible tools, employment, smart cities, among
other initiatives.  Upcoming programs will be highlighted on the web
site, andd you can also contact me to learn about local opportunities.
We are working on a survey to collect data about iPhone apps that need
accessibility improvements, and we will then approach the publishers
of these applications to promote accessibility.

Computers for the Blind
https://www.computersfortheblind.org/preapplication.php
Provides heavily discounted windows laptop and desktop computers to
blind persons.  Computers are sent out with screen readers and other
assistive technology pre-installed.

Twitter Hashtags:
#a11y
#accessibility