[Home-on-the-range] 2018 NFBK Convention Notes & reminders

Rob Tabor rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 24 17:17:52 UTC 2018

Greetings Kansas Federation family,

Here are just a few items to keep in mind as we make preparations for the
2018 state affiliate convention which begins on Friday November 2 and ends
on Sunday November 4 at the Hotel Old Town Wichita, 830 E First Street at
First and Mosley.

.Hotel room reservations. If you plan to stay at the hotel and have not
reserved a room, you will need to take care of this immediately as the
available block of rooms will close on Thursday and the hotel is almost
filled up. The cost is $119 per room per night, with options of a king sized
bed or 2 queens. You may reserve your room by calling (316) 267-4800. If
your lodging expenses are covered by the state organization DO NOT make a
reservation as Donna Wood has already done this for you. If you have
questions as to whether Donna has reserved a room for you, you may call her
at (316) 640-0650 or inquire via email at donnajwood at cox.net.

. Convention registration. You have the option of pre-registering or
registering for the convention at the hotel on Friday evening or Saturday.
Note it will be $5 cheaper to register ahead of time. The registration form
can be found at our NFB of Kansas website at www.nfbks.org where you may
download the form in Microsoft Word file format. You may register more than
one person using the same form, but be sure to list everyone by name with
contact information for each person and be sure to declare the total amount
to be paid to Robert Fuller, our state treasurer who is in charge of
registration. You may send a hard copy of your registration wit payment to
NFB of Kansas c/o Robert Fuller, 1812 Ississippi, Lawrence KS 66044 or via
email at treasurer at nfbks.org. You may also pay via Paypal by entering
treasurer at nfbks.org as the payee. If you do not have a Paypal account, you
may create one by logging into www.paypal.com. As a heads-up warning, you
may need some assistance conquering a one time captcha when you create your
account. Fortunately, you will not experience a captcha problem when sending
or receiving funds through Paypal. Registration fees for 2018 are $5 for
earlybird registration and $10 at the registration desk, $15 for the
Saturday luncheon, and $30 for the Saturday evening banquet. A complementary
breakfast is provided for Saturday and Sunday mornings. For those who are
coming on Friday afternoon we invite you to partake of the food and libation
in the hospitality area where the very tasty and substantial hors d'oeuvres
will make for a very satisfying evening meal.

. Resolutions and nominating committee. Chapter presidents are kindly and
gently reminded to designate representatives to these 2 committees which
will meet on Friday evening starting at 7:00pm. You may appoint one of your
members for both committees if you wish as the nominating committee will
meet immediately after the resolutions committee concludes. We invite and
encourage you to prepare resolutions for our consideration at the business
meeting on Sunday morning. Resolutions must meet the following requirements:

-state a problem or concern in blindness policy either by a public or
private entity such as a college or university, a place of employment, a
retail sales firm,or a technology company or vendor;

-must include at least one "whereas" (statement of problem) clause, and at
least one "be it resolved" clause (policy change requested or demanded;)

-         The author or designated spokesperson must be present at the
resolutions committee markup session on Friday evening to explain the
resolution after the language is read.

.Schedule and upcoming highlights. Pre-convention activities will begin on
Friday at 1:30 with a blindness techknology seminar to be conducted jointly
by Mika Pyyhkala and myself. We will cover some basics and latest
developments on various techknology platforms and devices including
screenreaders, the Aira and Orcam navigational systems, Siri for iOS
devices, and the KFNB reader, to name a few. The theme of the 2018
convention will be the 50th anniversary of the founding of the Kansas NFB
affiliate. Three fabulous guest speakers will take us for a walk down memory
lane to reminisce about the early days of the Federation in Kansas after a
seven year blackout period when the Kansas affiliate broke away in the
"civil War" of 1961 to help form the American Council of the Blind (ACB.)
Anil Lewis, executive direcgtor of the NFB Jernigan Institute will be our
national representative. We look forward to welcoming Anil back to Kansas
since he appeared as our national representative at our 2009 convention in
Salina.

I hope this gives you the information you neet to get ready for convention
and I look forward to seeing  you all there.

Best regards,

Rob Tabor | First vice president National Federation of the Blind of Kansas

(785) 865-9959

Rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net