[Home-on-the-range] legislation

slstanzel at kc.rr.com slstanzel at kc.rr.com
Sat Mar 16 20:58:46 UTC 2019

                Hi Everyone,

This is wonderful!

Susie

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

National Federation of the Blind Applauds the Introduction of the Access
Technology Affordability Act

Baltimore, Maryland (March 15, 2019): The National Federation of the Blind,
the oldest and largest organization of blind Americans, applauds the
introduction of the Access Technology Affordability Act (ATAA) of 2019 (S.
815) by Senators John Boozman (R-AR) and Ben Cardin (D-MD). This bipartisan
legislation removes an employment barrier commonly experienced by blind
Americans who cannot afford the high cost of access technology by creating a
refundable tax credit in the amount of $2,000 to offset the cost of these
technologies. Additional champions include Senators Richard Burr (R-NC),
Robert Casey (D-PA), Susan Collins (R-ME), Maggie Hassan (D-NH), Doug Jones
(D-AL), Dan Sullivan (R-AK), Jon Tester (D-MT), and Ron Wyden (D-OR).

Senator Boozman said: "As an optometrist, I know how essential access
technology is for blind Americans to achieve educational and employment
goals. The high cost of this technology continues to be a barrier for so
many who are ready and willing to work. With almost 71 percent of blind
Americans unemployed, I am pleased to work with my colleagues and
re-introduce this commonsense bipartisan legislation that will reduce the
financial burden associated with these items and ensure that blind Americans
can receive the tools they need to succeed in the classroom, the workplace,
and within the community."

"Making access technology affordable is critical to ensuring that blind
individuals can participate fully in our communities and have equal access
to every opportunity," said Senator Ben Cardin. "I am proud we have
bipartisan support for this empowering legislation, which gives blind
Marylanders, and all blind Americans, flexible economic support to help them
lead full and successful lives."

Mark A. Riccobono, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
"My wife, my two daughters, and I are all blind, and the children's
technology needs are going to increase as they continue their education and
start their careers. My family is not unique; blind people across the nation
face this challenge, and this legislation will provide critical assistance.
We thank and commend our outstanding senate champions for putting forward
this legislation, which will help give blind people the technology they need
to live the lives they want."