[Home-on-the-Range] CARES Act Payments for SSDI and SSI beneficiaries

Rob Tabor rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net
Sun Apr 5 12:19:22 UTC 2020

Good mornig KS Federation family,

I have very good news to relay in response to questions that have arisen as
to the status and potential consequences to those who receive these monthly
support payments from the US Social Security Administration (SSA).

First, as of April 1, 2020 Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin,  elaiminated
the requirement to file a Federal income tax return to be eligible to
receive the CARES Act relief payments recently approved by Congresss.
Payments will be received via direct deposit or via mailed paper check as
SSDI and SSI benefits are normally received, except that payments will be
issued by the US Treasury department instead of SSA.

As to those receiving SSI, SSA Commissioner Andrew Saul states as follows:

Note for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Recipients:

"We are working closely with Treasury to address outstanding questions about
our SSI recipients in an attempt to make the issuance of economic impact
payments as quick and efficient as possible. We realize people are
concerned, and the IRS will provide additional information on their web page

when available. Please note that we will not consider economic impact
payments as income for SSI recipients, and the payments are excluded from
resources for 12 months."

Source:
https--blog.ssa.gov-commissioner-of-social-security-shares-update-about-covi
d-19-economic-impact-payments-for-beneficiaries-

###