[Home-on-the-Range] FW: NewsLion November - December 2021 The Newsletter of the Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library

pilgrim5 at cox.net pilgrim5 at cox.net
Thu Nov 11 21:35:08 UTC 2021

From: 'Chancey Fleet' via Technology Programs at Andrew Heiskell Braille & Talking Book Library <HeiskellTech at googlegroups.com>
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2021 11:16 AM
To: heiskelltech at googlegroups.com; new-york-news at nfbnet.org
Subject: FW: NewsLion November - December 2021 The Newsletter of the Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library

Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>  for Windows

From: Jill Rothstein <mailto:jillrothstein at nypl.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 10, 2021 1:16 PM
To: Austrebert Nicot <mailto:austrebertonicot at nypl.org> ; chanceyfleet at nypl.org <mailto:chanceyfleet at nypl.org> ; Chrisropher Cella <mailto:christophercella at nypl.org> ; Dario Baeza <mailto:dariobaeza at nypl.org> ; Deborah Vasquez <mailto:deborahvasquez at nypl.org> ; dia <mailto:diacarter at nypl.org> ; James Langton <mailto:jameslangton at nypl.org> ; Jemal Ingram <mailto:jemalingram at nypl.org> ; jessie wheeler <mailto:jessicawheeler at nypl.org> ; John Fahs <mailto:johnfahs at nypl.org> ; Loren Phipps <mailto:lorenphipps at nypl.org> ; Mark Alonso <mailto:markalonso at nypl.org> ; Michele Emeran <mailto:marieemeran at nypl.org> ; Nefertiti Matos <mailto:nefertitimatos at nypl.org> ; Nina Manning <mailto:ninamanning at nypl.org> ; Shabana Noorhassan <mailto:shabananoorhassan at nypl.org> ; Tunisia Craig <mailto:tunisiacraig at nypl.org>

NewsLion November - December 2021

The Newsletter of the Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library

NEWS

Festive Winter Virtual Community Advisory Council Event:

Tuesday December 14th from 5:30 pm - 7:00 pm

Please join us at this festive community gathering (virtually) for a roundtable discussion, special guests, trivia, poems, library news, and election of officers. The following CAC will be on January 25th at 5:30pm

ADULT CALENDAR

Book Discussion Group

Our book club hosts engaging and thought-provoking discussions about books selected by our members. Meets on the second Saturday of every other month. Please call or register in advance to receive a meeting link or dial in number. Book discussions will be held virtually.

Saturday, December 11th, 10 - 11:30AM (virtual)

Deacon King Kong by James McBride (DB 98819)

Open Book Hour

Reading something amazing you can’t wait to tell people about? Join us for our virtual Open Book Hour, where we talk about the books we’ve been reading and get recommendations from fellow book lovers! Please register in advance on our website under upcoming events to receive a meeting link or dial in number.

Or call us if you need help. Meets every other Tuesday.

Tuesday, November 16th, 3:30 - 4:30PM

Tuesday, November 30th, 3:30 - 4:30PM

Tuesday, December 14th, 3:30 - 4:30PM

Tuesday, December 28th, 3:30 - 4:30PM

Braille Study Group – Remote and In-person!

Saturdays, 10:30– 12:30 AM in person, 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM on Zoom

We welcome learners at all levels! Bring your questions, get support for your learning goals and find out how to learn Braille for free from home. To join in person, please email ChanceyFleet at nypl.org <mailto:ChanceyFleet at nypl.org>  or call (212) 206-5400, extension 3.

YOUTH CALENDAR:

Storytimes:

Storytimes for ages 0 -5 happen onsite in person on Mondays at 2:30pm and 3:00 pm, and Fridays at 11am and 11:30 am. Space is limited and registration is required.

Urban Word NYC, Open Mic for Teens:

Tuesdays: 11/9, 16, 30, December 7, 2021 4:00pm - 6:30pm

A spoken word & arts workshop series for teens and emerging adults centered on Women in the Arts. It is open to teen poets, musicians, MCs, and visual artists. We seek to provide a safe space for artistic expression, experimentation and development across all genres. Free. Registration required. Register at  <https://forms.gle/T6x7VfdjjFBuUweX9> https://forms.gle/T6x7VfdjjFBuUweX9

TECH CALENDAR

One-to-One Coaching

We are here to help you achieve your tech goal! Are you learning the iPhone, improving your

typing, or exploring the web with a screen reader? We will be happy to match you with a tech coach to work on achieving that goal.

Read Wherever You Are

Our BARD collection offers instant access to all of our Braille and talking books using a computer, smartphone, tablet or accessible device. Our members also have free access to Bookshare, a library of over a million titles which you can read on the web or your smartphone or tablet using magnification, text-to-speech or Braille. Need the daily paper? NFB-Newsline is also free and brings you access

to local and national publications from your computer, smartphone, tablet or even a land-line phone. To get started, just call or email our tech team.

Tech Workshops

Join our vibrant community for free, interactive remote workshops every week covering tech topics for beginners and seasoned users, book discussions, a Braille study group and more. Below, you’ll find our offerings for August: just use the link within each listing to register. To receive a reminder about each upcoming

workshop or find out about additional pop-up offerings, email heiskelltech+subscribe at googlegroups.com <mailto:heiskelltech%2Bsubscribe at googlegroups.com>  or contact our tech team to join our announcement list. Email  <mailto:chanceyfleet at nypl.org> chanceyfleet at nypl.org or call (212) 206-5400 and ask for zoom links for tech workshops, where available.

Intro to Google Docs

Thursday November 18, 3:00 – 4:30 PM

 <https://nypl.zoom.us/j/9522509225?pwd=dVdDZDl6TExlMzZuUUszakRaQ3IrUT09> https://nypl.zoom.us/j/9522509225?pwd=dVdDZDl6TExlMzZuUUszakRaQ3IrUT09

This event will take place online. Find out how to get the most from this free collaborative tool using your favorite screen reader. We’ll focus on enabling accessibility, understanding menus, and the fundamentals of document editing and collaboration.

Intro to SimplyE

Monday November 22, 6:00 – 7:30 PM

 <https://nypl.zoom.us/j/9522509225?pwd=dVdDZDl6TExlMzZuUUszakRaQ3IrUT09> https://nypl.zoom.us/j/9522509225?pwd=dVdDZDl6TExlMzZuUUszakRaQ3IrUT09

This event will take place online. Stock up on some good books for the holiday! SimplyE, available for iOS and Android, is a free app that gives you on-demand access to the NYPL collection of ebooks and audiobooks. It’s easy to use, accessible, and includes some titles that can't be found in our BARD and Bookshare collections. Plus, you’ll learn how to apply for a library card right within the app if you don’t already have one.

Accessible Tech Tools for Language Learners

Tuesday November 30, 3:00 – 4:30 PM

 <https://nypl.zoom.us/j/9522509225?pwd=dVdDZDl6TExlMzZuUUszakRaQ3IrUT09> https://nypl.zoom.us/j/9522509225?pwd=dVdDZDl6TExlMzZuUUszakRaQ3IrUT09

This event will take place online. Discover tools that can help you on your language journey including DuoLingo and Mango Languages; translation apps from Microsoft and Google; accessible translation dictionaries; and podcasts for language learners.

Online Shopping with Accessibility in Mind

Tuesday December 7, 6:00 – 7:30 PM

 <https://nypl.zoom.us/j/9522509225?pwd=dVdDZDl6TExlMzZuUUszakRaQ3IrUT09> https://nypl.zoom.us/j/9522509225?pwd=dVdDZDl6TExlMzZuUUszakRaQ3IrUT09

This event will take place online. Get ready for the holidays with tips and techniques for making online shopping more accessible. We’ll cover comparison-shopping on Amazon and Google Shopping, navigating shopping sites with varying levels of accessibility, and where to find accessible products.

Accessible Origami– In Person at the Library

Saturday December 11, 2:00 – 3:30 PM

This event will take place in person at the Andrew Heiskell Library. Come learn to fold some beautiful models, from butterflies to boxes. No prior experience is required! Please email ChanceyFleet at nypl.org <mailto:ChanceyFleet at nypl.org>  to register: space is limited.

Accessible Origami Online

Monday December 13, 6:00 – 7:30 PM

 <https://nypl.zoom.us/j/9522509225?pwd=dVdDZDl6TExlMzZuUUszakRaQ3IrUT09> https://nypl.zoom.us/j/9522509225?pwd=dVdDZDl6TExlMzZuUUszakRaQ3IrUT09

This event will take place online. Join us online as we use verbal description to make origami models from home. No experience is required, but you’ll need standard notebook paper or origami paper.

NEW BOOKS FROM ANDREW HEISKELL LIBRARY’S AUDIOBOOK STUDIO:

The Dreyfus Affair: The Scandal That Tore France In Two, by Piers Paul Read, DBC 08658

(Adult, Non-Fiction) This non-fiction book recount the tragic drama that divided French society and stunned the world surrounding Alfred Dreyfus, a Jewish officer in the French army, who was wrongfully convicted of being a German spy and imprisoned on Devil’s Island, and the unravelling of a conspiracy that led to the highest corridors of power in France.

Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit, by Jeanette Winterson, DBC 16649

(Adult, Fiction) Jeanette Winterson’s celebrated novel about a lesbian girl who grows up in a northern English Pentecostal community.

Turn Left For Gibraltar: The third Harry Gilmour Novel by David Black, DBC 16673

(Adult, Fiction) The third in an exciting series of novels telling the personal story of a young British submariner in World War Two. In this book, Harry Gilmour begins to understand the difficulty of command when he must take over his submarine after the boat’s captain is lost at sea.

HOLIDAYS AND CLOSINGS

The Library will be closed November 25th and 26th for Thanksgiving; December 24th and 25th for Christmas, and December 31st and January 1st for New Year.

--

Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library

40 West 20th Street

New York, NY 10011

212-206-5400

Toll-free 855-697-6975

Have you heard about the free BARD Mobile app <https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bard-mobile/id705229586?mt=8>  for iOS and Android devices?

--

Jill Rothstein

Chief Librarian

Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library

The New York Public Library

40 West 20th Street, New York, NY 10011

 <mailto:jillrothstein at nypl.org> jillrothstein at nypl.org

talkingbooks.nypl.org <http://talkingbooks.nypl.org>