[Home-on-the-Range] 2021 convention roundup

Rob Tabor rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net
Mon Oct 18 17:39:26 UTC 2021

Greetings Kansas Federation family,

I hope all is well in your corner of the world as we anticipate a hybrid version of the 2021 state affiliate convention. I hope the information here will help you to prepare for a wonderful experience as we all emerge together after a two-year hiatus thanks to Covid and state health orders.

The convention will take place from Friday, November 12 through Sunday, November 14 at the holiday inn and suites Overland Park West, 8787 Reeder Rd., Overland Park Kansas. we have a special nightly room rate at $109 which includes a full-service breakfast. And the deadline to reserve your room at our special rate ends after this coming Friday, October 22. In my book your room reservations by dialing (913) 888-8440. be sure to specify that you are in the NFB room block. If the reservation clerk is unable to verify this, you may end up having to pay rack rate, but rest assured you will eventually be reimbursed the difference between the special rate and the rack  rate. The special rate is the same for singles doubles triples and quads. Unfortunately, we are told that all of the double beds have been taken, so you will have to except a room with a king size bed. This is because a sports organization is also holding a conference at the same hotel.

Convention registration. In addition to booking your hotel room, you will also need to register for the convention itself, for which there are two ways to do. And you may register electronically by downloading the registration form from our state affiliate website at nfbks.org, under the link which says ”convention.” Then fill out the form and email it to treasurer at nfbks.org,   which will also serve as the ID for payment via PayPal. alternatively, you may print the form out and send it by first class mail C/O Robert Fuller, 1120 Randall Rd., Lawrence, KS 66049. thirdly, you may simply register on site at the convention. Advance registration is $35 which includes the five dollar  ($5) registration fee and $30 for a banquet ticket. on site registration will be $40. and you will note that the registration form lists $15 for the Saturday luncheon. thanks to Nanopac, and access technology company based in Tulsa Oklahoma, our lunch will be sponsored, so there will be no charge for us. Unfortunately, the registration form was not change to reflect the kind sponsorship of Nanopac. we apologize for this oversight and for the ensuing confusion.

Resolutions. The resolutions committee will meet on Friday, November 12 at 7:00 PM. Each chapter will have a voting member of the resolutions committee. The role of the committee will be to study each resolution and take a vote is the whether or not to recommend passage by the convention, which is the supreme authority of the Kansas affiliate. Please submit your resolution draft or idea to me at rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net as soon as possible. The text of your draft resolution will need to contain at least one Whereas clause and one Be It Resolved clause. The whereas clause(S) is the statement of a problem, while the Ve It  Resolved clause urges and identified party to take a specified course of action to solve the problem. Make sure to have your resolution pertain to you an issue or problem relevant to blindness. Generally, any person or entity can be the subject of a resolution. In most cases, the usual targets of an NFB resolution   Include state and local officials and legislative bodies, State or local boards or commissions, technology companies, etc. if you are having difficulty formulating the text of your resolution, feel free to call me at the phone number listed at the end of this posting in my signature block. last but not least, you will need to be present when the committee meets to consider resolutions, as you will need to present the highlights of the resolution and why you want it to be passed, so that the committee can be sure that everyone is on the same page. If you are unable to be present whether in person or via our Zoom channel, you will need to ask someone two speak for the resolution on your behalf.

Elections. This year there are three at-large board positions that will be up for election. if you would like to be considered for one of these board positions, you may contact Donna Wood via email at donnajwood at cox.net or by phone at (316) 640-0650. Elections will take place during the business meeting on Sunday morning.

Finally, any lingering questions you may have may be directed to any member of the convention planning committee, which consists of Donna Wood, Tom Anderson, Tom Page, and myself. In the meantime, stay well and enjoy this very pleasant fall.

Best regards,
Rob Tabor | 1st vice president national Federation of the blind of Kansas
(785) 865-9959
Rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net