[Home-on-the-Range] FW: Coming up Thursday In Person: Braille and Graphics Literacy for Education, Arts and Culture

pilgrim5 at cox.net pilgrim5 at cox.net
Wed Oct 20 23:12:53 UTC 2021

From: 'Chancey Fleet' via Technology Programs at Andrew Heiskell Braille & Talking Book Library <HeiskellTech at googlegroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2021 11:45 AM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: Coming up Thursday In Person: Braille and Graphics Literacy for Education, Arts and Culture

Folks,

Please help this message travel to those students, professionals and interested individuals who might be interested in the in-person opportunity to check out three distinctive, emerging Braille and graphics technologies hands-on at the library this Thursday. (Zoom participation can be provided for those who need it, but the hands-on component here is hard to overstate). Everyone in our venue will be masked, and we'll have hand sanitizer available for tactile explorers.

The AT Crowd: Braille and Graphics Edition

Thursday October 21, 5:00 to 6:45 PM Eastern

In person at the Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library’s Community Room.

Please rsvp by calling (212) 206-5400 extension 3, or emailing: ChanceyFleet at Nypl.org

We’re located at 40 West 20th St | New York, NY 10011

Note: Please let us know if you’d prefer to join via Zoom. This event is intentionally hands-on and interactive, but we can Zoom in participants whose accessibility needs include remote attendance.

We’re bringing back our AT crowd series, where developers and library patrons meet to explore emerging accessible technologies, network and discuss the priorities, Preferences and best practices in our community. This Thursday, we’ll be joined by leaders from three companies who have recently debuted digital Braille products, using two very different approaches.

Blind and visually impaired people, tactile readers, and allies are encouraged to attend this discussion and hands-on demo.

The T3 is a large-format talking Android tablet that facilitates Braille and tactile literacy education, tactile exploration with rich audio description and more through its use of text-to-speech information, guidance and games using Braille and tactile graphics overlays.

Bonocle, a one-cell digital Braille device equipped with Bluetooth and various sensors,  is a braille entertainment platform designed for the blind community. it allows users to learn, get work done and play immersive games with their friends and family in a unique way along with various other functionalities.

The Dot Kiosk includes a high-contrast touchscreen, text-to-speech audio, a refreshable tactile graphics tablet, and a 20-cell Braille display. It’s designed to offer information, images and maps in public places like museums and cultural institutions. Dot, Inc also develops the 4-cell digital Braille DOT Watch and the DOT Pad for tactile graphics.

--

Chancey S. Fleet

Assistive Technology Coordinator

Andrew Heiskell Braille and Talking Book Library

(212) 621-0627