[Home-on-the-Range] May 2023 Board Meeting

Alison Roets aroets1750 at gmail.com
Tue May 2 18:59:28 UTC 2023

Good afternoon,

Due to Mother’s day being on May 14, our usual meeting date, we will now be holding the board meeting at 3 p.m. on Sunday, May 7.

Join by calling 9162351420 and using access  879925. If it asks for it, the passcode is 25463.

The minutes are pasted into the email body below.

Thank you,

Alison Roets

National Federation Of The Blind Of Kansas
Monthly Board Meeting
Sunday April 2, 2023

Present: Tom Page, Tom Anderson, Margaret Finger, Rob Tabor, Bruce Roberds, Dianne Hemphill, Donna Wood, Robert Fuller,Renee Morgan, and Susie Stanzel.

Guests: Don and Jody Mulik, Linda Anderson, Brandon and Laridda Murphy, Michael Nava,and Patricia Stillwell.

The secretaries report was accepted by President Tom Page as presented.

Treasurers report
Total for the reporting period is $235,389.66.  Robert has not closed out Shay account yet because he is waiting on a check.  The treasurer’s report was accepted by President Page.

Old Business
Pledge for financial support for the blind museum.  A discussion was held on pledging contributions in support of the museum.  Concerns were raised by board members were; would wee have the money  and the amount of money that is being asked for by National.
  Wood made a motion that we pledge $25,000 over ten years to support the blind museum.  Stanzel seconded and motion passed.

National convention in Houston Texas.  Anderson moved that we authorize $1,500 per person grant for convention, with a cap of $21,000.  Tabor seconded and motion passed.
  Members are required to put there requests for a grant in writing, to their chapter presidents.  The chapter president will then forward request onto the board.
  Any member receiving a grant from the state is required to attend resolutions, board meeting, all general sessions, banquet and 1 division meeting (be prepared to make a report on convention experience) and Rookie Round Up for first time attendees.    Applying and receiving a Jernigan grant does not exclude you from a state of Kansas grant.

New Business
Fund raisers
  It was suggested that we need to participate in presentations to Lawyer organizations.  A request was made that chapter presidents think about approaching employers in their communities for charotable donations.

Newsline
President Page gave a presentation to the KCC.  At this time we do have a republican and Democrat support for next year.

house bill on tax abatment had an amendment that struck down 14C on the bill that limits lawsuits based on the ADA.  It is still not a good bill.

State Convention Update
Donna Wood reported on 2023 state convention.  The convention will be held on November 3, 4 and 5, 2023 at Holiday Inn Wichita East I35 549 S. Rock Road Wichita, KS 67207.  The telephone number is (316) 686-7131.  Room rates are $125.00 per night.

Discussion was held on changing date of next board meeting.  The next regularly scheduled meeting would land on Mother’s Day.  So it was decided to move the board meeting to May 7, 2023.

At next board meeting we will hear from Patricia Stillwell and Michael Nava on their experiences with Alpha Point.

Next board meeting will be May 7, 2023 at 3:00 PM by conference call.

Meeting adjourned. 4:22 PM