[Home-on-the-Range] Still time to submit a resollutions for cnvention

Rob Tabor rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net
Fri Oct 27 14:40:43 UTC 2023

Good morning Alison and everyone,
First, it is definitely possible to expand your resolution idea by advocating for installation of APS systems in all or most municipalities in Kansas. That said, the question that arises is whether a resolution advocating for APS is appropriate blindness policy. There has been a long history of opposition to it within the ranks of the federation. However, I am not sure if the national convention has taken an official position opposing APS systems. The argument in its essence is that APS can give rise to a false sense of security in street-crossings, especially for very young and newly blinded folks. It is further argued that we should rely on traffic flow patterns to judge when it is safe to cross.

In any event, if the national convention, being the supreme authority of the fedfederation,  has made an official policy statement opposing APS, it would be inappropriate for Kansas to take a contrary stand. If I have time within the next few days, I will research it and circle back to you.

Best regards,
Rob Tabor | first vice president / resolutions chairman National Federation of the Blind of Kansas

(785) 865-9959
rob.tabor at sbcglobal.net