[humanser] Counseling Psychology Doctoral programs

JD Townsend 43210 at bellsouth.net
Sun Feb 1 00:27:46 UTC 2009

Hi:

I encourage you to pursue your dreams;  however a PhD in counseling psych
doesn't really amount to much more than obtaining a license in one of the
master level counseling programs.  In our current economic situation a
masters level degreed person has a better chance of employment than one with
a PhD if you eventually wish to be a psychotherapist.  I suggest that you
look at the employment possibilities for this degree.

I have supervised for licensure three people with PhD degrees.  One is now
working as a school counselor in a position with only a master's degree
requirement; another is teaching at university; and the other is now
unemployed.  The many students I have supervised from master's level degrees
are all employed, save one who has some personal problems that limit her job
choices.  The PhD's are not doing psychotherapy, those with masters degrees,
mostly in social work, are.

But, follow your dreams.  Only you know what you wish your career to be;
only make sure that your degree will move you to that career.

JD Townsend, LCSW
Daytona Beach, Florida, Earth, Sol System