[humanser] Jury finds IA Dept. for Blind's guidedog policy does not discriminate

Alicia Richards alicia716 at msn.com
Fri Feb 20 18:02:22 UTC 2009

Oops, I sent my earlier email to the wrong list.  My apologies!  *Smile*  I
had meant to respond to Shannon.

Yes, some of the things you say are true, Shannon.  A person who attends
guide dog school is, technically, supposed to have good mobility already,
and be signed off by an O&M instructor.  However, this is definitely not
always the case by a longshot. Not all clients who go through guide dog
programs do in fact have good mobility skills.  I used to have a guide dog
myself, and I assure you that quite a few of the people in my class had
terrible mobility skills, yet they, and their instructor, thought a dog
would simply fix that problem.  My school actually had to send one student
home, she was that poor of a traveler.

Also, when you go to a college to get a certain degree, rarely can you just
skip classes because you feel like it.  If the college does give you that
option, you most generally have to test out of that class, and if the school
is not satisfied with your test results, you don't get to skip the class.
So it seems to go with a Center.  If you go to a Center, in my opinion, part
of what you must accept is their entire program, or don't go to that
particular Center.  Or, if the Center is going to make adjustments, then
they should test the person's skills in that particular area, but reserve
the right not to allow them out of that course if they are not satisfied
with the skills they see.

Alicia