[humanser] off topic dogs canes

Julie Russell jar90880 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 25 04:16:58 UTC 2009

Hello,

I also apoligize for being off topic but felt some good information is out
there about canes and dogs which may assist others if they want to pursue
this topic further.  Carmela's thoughts are always well stated.  I do not
know the essence of the trial and can not speak to that but do know of some
resources for the cane / dog guide portion.

The October 1995 issue of the Braille Monitor was dedicated to the question
cane vs. dog guide.  I like Karla Westjohn's comments in June 1996.  While
these are both over a decade old the articles continue to ring true in
today's world.

I think Mr. Brown's initial question was not to the legality of the decision
but to the differences of the mobility tools.  This is addressed in the
above references found on line at www.nfb.org

I believe strongly that any dog guide user must have cane skills and most
reputable schools pay claim to this as well.  If a dog guide needs a tooth
pulled or just teeth cleaned ideally this does not mean one must give up a
day's wages or take a "sick" day because of the need.

I suggest one review "The Nature of Independence" which was an address by
Kenneth Jernigan.

Mobility tools and one's choice runs into a person's sense of identity and
of independence.  What I hope we all agree on is a person's need to get from
point a to point b effectively and efficiently.  consistently is certainly
important as well as with a sense of having dignity in that choice and part
of one's identity.

I hope each person is well.  New Orleans is winding down from Mardi Gras and
I enjoyed catching up through interesting threads in the last hours.

Julie Russell, LCSW
New Orleans