[humanser] Question for discussion

Jan Bailey jb021951 at charter.net
Wed Jan 28 03:24:57 UTC 2009

I think the issue here is the fact that some people think that everyone who
loses their sight needs a lot of psychological counseling. I disagree with
this theory. On the other hand, if a person is exhibiting symptoms of
depression, anxiety, or other mental health issues, then they do need
counseling. I work for State Services for the Blind, and in my early years
as a client I was given the MMPI psychological test at least a half a dozen
times. It was just administered to every blind person. Now this is a test to
detect mental health issues, and I know I resented having to take it over
and over. Now that I am a counselor, I only have that test administered if I
suspect a mental health issue. I think this is where some of these issues
have stemmed from, and why some blind people feel the way they do.

Jan