[humanser] Acknowledge or ignore?

Doug Lee dgl at dlee.org
Thu Mar 26 09:18:27 UTC 2009

This situation very much reminds me of some feelings I had recently as
well.  I had occasion to visit Estonia late last year for a week-long
consulting job.  I had worked very briefly in Chicago with a couple of
the same people, and in Chicago I navigated very confidently around
the large hotel where we met.  But in Estonia, my confidence was
hampered by there being no Braille in the hotel and by my tendency to
be much more careful than assertive when in another country, at least
until I understand what expectations might be different there.  Also,
while I was in the company offices, I really was always traveling with
people because they had me scheduled for meetings all day every day.
As a result, I didn't do a lot of independent navigating until I had
been there for several days, except of course for minor things like
going to and from the restroom.

I remember being very glad that a couple key people there had seen me
navigating the Chicago hotel by myself, and this helped me avoid
feeling it necessary to say or do anything to prove my ability to do
that.  However, I do learn a place much better if I'm not hanging on
to someone, and I realized halfway through my stay that my decisions
to avoid looking like I was proving something had actually prevented
me from learning my way around as well as usual by then.

In general, while I was in Estonia, I chose to favor getting the job
done over proving my ability to travel.  Thus, for example, I always
walked with people to the cafeteria for lunch because to do otherwise
would have reduced my ability to communicate with company staff,
besides being far from a subtle remark on my independence.  As our
meetings continually occurred in different conference rooms in the
building, I also found it most efficient to walk with people to
meetings.  What little time I had outside of meetings was best spent
conversing with staff rather than independently touring the place.

What feelings I still had that made me want to do something actually
came out in my several decisions to join small groups that wanted to
walk rather than drive back from evening outings, and sometimes maybe
to encourage the formation of such little groups.  I did finally find
some time to explore on my own near the end of my stay, and on my last
day I did a couple of things that required me to travel throughout the
building alone.

I guess I'm writing this mostly because I thought it might interest
you, or to say you're not alone in sometimes having to struggle with
the line between wise and unwise assertiveness on this point.  There
are a lot of ways to communicate though, and when subtlety seems
wisest, as in this sort of case, I think it really is something of an
art form to figure out ways of saying "I can do that" without using
words or drawing undue attention to the issue.  I actually like your
"front row seats" comment!  At least to me, it was a very subtle
indication that you took the offer of an arm as more a courtesy or
convenience than as a necessity or expectation.  I wonder if you
already addressed the issue sufficiently by saying that. :)