[humanser] Online Masters Degrees

Merry Schoch merrys at verizon.net
Sat Jan 2 13:20:54 UTC 2010

Hi Lou,

Welcome to the list.  My name is Merry and I live in chilly central
Florida..  I am going to begin my second of four semesters to obtain my MSW
degree.  My program does not offer any online courses; although, many
students have complained about this especially for the two electives we must
take.

I haven't entered into the issue, even though I spend 1 and 3/4 hours to 2
hours per day one way to get to the university.  My undergraduate degree was
earned (except for one course) completely through online courses.  In
comparison, the time factor of studying is not much different.  On line
courses are not easy and require a great deal of time reading, writing,
posting and reading the  discussion boards, and research.  Discussion posts
are usually like writing  research papers; they must have citations and be
scholarly.  I must say I would not exchange the knowledge I gained by taking
online courses because I am much better prepared for the program in which I
am in.

I agree with JD, the class interaction is invaluable for a counseling type
program.  I am not one who enjoys role playing; however, I know the
importance and how much is gained through role playing.

I certainly understand your desire to spend more time with your new husband.
Congratulations to you both.  Before I began preparing for the GRE, my
husband and I had a discussion because I wanted to make sure he would not
feel deprived due to my academics.  I try to give him time, but he
understands that this will not be forever, and my education will benefit the
household.  He critiques my papers since he is so skilled in linquistics and
grammar.  I appreciate his assistance, and he gains insight not only on what
I am studying also on me especially when he critiques a biopsychosocial on
myself (big grin).

I hope you find what fits  your lifestyle and I wish you the best in your
marriage and  your academic career.

Respectfully,
Merry Schoch