[humanser] The New Device for the Blind

Mary Chappell mtc5 at cox.net
Mon May 17 10:24:30 UTC 2010

JD,
Oh my gosh... I would love to have this device... NOT! Ignorance comes in
all shapes and sizes and every level of education. I reflect on a patient
with whom I recently worked. The patient was transgender, male to female.
She had undergone a number of procedures and was clearly pleased with the
outcome. She was hospitalized following a suicide attempt secondary to a
break up with her abusive partner. She was gragarious, and extremly
extroverted. Though her presentation, voice quality, gait, and mannerisms
were, according to her personal assessment, decidely effeminant, much of the
staff kept referring to her as him. After a couple of days in the hospital
and relatively strong rapport having been developed, she approached me with
an interesting question, "What am I emitting that is clearly male? She went
on to describe her experiences in New York when men would cat call and
express interest, noting she was the most beautiful woman they had ever
seen. This in spite of her being in sweats and a baseball cap. She aske me
what I felt in her presence and noted the value in my not seeing her and
simply experiencing her. Though she was discharged prior to our complete
exploration of this question, I was struck by her having experienced therapy
with me in such a different way, to the extent that she received our
exchange differently. I knew she had been born with male genitalia and yet,
experienced her as female. I wonder if this "new equipment" would alter that
core experience. I would not want the experience altered.
I think of another experience I recently had with an African-American,
female patient with strong Borderline Personality features. She presented
herself as European-American and, though I listened to the nurses recorded
reports outlining patient profiles and activity for days, I purposely
overlooked the racial description that was offered for that patient,
believing it was a misspoken description In the end I found that she was, in
fact, African-American. While I doubt that this is my only misperception, I
know that there are aspects of the exchange with patients, clients, family,
and friends to which I attune with clear understanding. I feel a stronger
connection to many aspects of the interpersonal interactions.

No, don't want anything to do with this new technology other than the
opportunity to test its precision and the value of the outcome.
JD, thanks for sharing.
Mary