[humanser] School Counseling

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Thu Sep 8 02:17:34 UTC 2011

Hello Sue-Ellen,
Keep searching!  I looked for a job for 9 months before I was hired as a
school counselor...  In Baltimore County at Logan Elementary School.  I
worked there for three years, then resigned to stay at home with my son, and
now I stay at home with my son and daughter.  I was not hired until mid
September, when I had almost given up findind a job.  So, keep your name and
your resume out there!  Things happen at schools all of the time.
Counselors go on maternity leave, move away, resign for a variety of
reasons...  So sometimes jobs come open when you least expect them.  Please
feel free to email me off list if you'd like to talk "local" talk about what
I did in order to make sure my name was out there.  I'm sure you're probably
doing the same things, but I'll be happy to share what I can.  Make sure you
have filled out any applications necessary in order to serve as a substitute
counselor in the school districts you mentioned.  I actually was initially
hired as a long term sub, and then was hired permaniently because the person
I was subbing for did not want to return to her position.
	Again, the best of luck to you, and I'll be hoping something comes
open to you!
Melissa