[humanser] FW: [DISSOC] Psychodynamic Research

MARY CHAPPELL MTC5 at COX.NET
Sun Mar 25 16:24:05 UTC 2012

This looks like pertinent research for anyone who practices within a
cohesive, integrative paradigm.
Mary Tatum Chappell

-----Original Message-----
From: Dissociative Disorders Discussion
[mailto:DISSOCIATIVE-DISORDERS at LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG] On Behalf Of Richard A.
Chefetz, M.D.
Sent: Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:41 AM
To: DISSOCIATIVE-DISORDERS at LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG
Subject: [DISSOC] Psychodynamic Research

(my apologies for some cross postings)(please feel free to forward this
message to other Lists)

Dear all, Once and a while I come across a project that has overarching
utility for the entire mental health community. Such is the case for the
publication of the Psychodynamic Diagnostic Manual that has sought to retain
the humanity of our patients/clients and inform clinical work. There is a
research project for continued development of the Manual that needs the
input of front-line clinicians. On my own initiative I offered to post this
to several listserves. I believe it is of real value. I hope you'll take a
moment to look it over and to participate. Warmly, Rich

Richard A. Chefetz, M.D.
4612 49th St, NW, Washington, D.C.

--------

The Psychodynamic Diagnostic Manual (PDM Task Force, 2006) is the first
psychological diagnostic classification system that considers the whole
person in various stages of development. A task force of five major
psychoanalytic organizations and leading researchers, under the guidance of
Stanley I. Greenspan, Nancy McWilliams, and Robert Wallerstein came together
to develop the PDM. The resulting nosology goes from the deep structural
foundation of personality to the surface symptoms that include the
integration of behavioral, emotional, cognitive, and social functioning.

The PDM improves on the existing diagnostic systems by considering the full
range of mental functioning. In addition to culling years of psychoanalytic
studies of etiology and pathogenesis, the PDM relies on research in
neuroscience, treatment outcome, infant and child development, and
personality assessment.

The PDM does not look at symptom patterns described in isolation, as do the
International Classification of Diseases (ICD) and the Diagnostic and
Statistical Manual of the American Psychiatric Association (DSM). Research
on brain development and the maturation of mental processes suggests that
patterns of behavioral, emotional, cognitive, and social functioning involve
many areas working together rather than in isolation. Although it is based
on psychodynamic theory and supporting research, the PDM is not doctrinaire
in its presentation. It may be used in conjunction with the ICD or DSM. The
PDM Task Force made an effort to use language that is accessible to all the
schools of psychology. It was developed to be particularly useful in case
formulation that could improve the effectiveness of any psychological
intervention.

Research on the Psychodiagnostic Chart:
An Integration of the PDM, ICD and DSM

 Goal: To offer a person-based nosology by integrating the PDM, ICD and DSM;
this integrated nosology may be used for diagnoses, treatment formulations,
progress reports, and outcome assessment, as well as for empirical research
on personality, psychopathology, and treatment.  Our overarching aim is to
make psychodiagnoses more useful to the practitioner by combining the
symptom-focused ICD or DSM with the full range and depth of human mental
functioning addressed by the Psychodynamic Diagnostic Manual (PDM).

Participants: Open to only to Licensed Mental Health Professionals with
experience in any of the psychodiagnostic systems (DSM, ICD, PDM).
What is required :

1. Go to "Bob's MMPI-2 Blog" at "www.mmpi-info.com/blog" and download
your copies of the Adult and/or Child and Adolescent Psychodiagnostic Charts
and Manuals.

2. Rate at least 3 patients using the Psychodiagnostic Chart

3. About one week later, rate the same patients again with the
Psychodiagnostic Chart 3. "Bob's MMPI-2 Blog" will provide the links to the
brief survey

4. Return the repeated the Psychodiagnostic Charts on your patients to:

Robert M. Gordon, Ph.D.
1259 S. Cedarcrest Blvd. 325
Allentown, Pa. 18104
or FAX: 610-821-1072
or email: rmgordonphd at rcn.com

Ethical Issues: Please do not use actual names of your patients. There are
no anticipated negative effects from this survey research. If however, there
are any ethical concerns, please contact Robert M. Gordon, Ph.D.
at: rmgordonphd at rcn.com

Thank You,
Robert M. Gordon, Ph.D.
Robert F. Bornstein, Ph.D.

settings:
http://listserv.icors.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ICORS.EXE?SUBED1=DISSOCIATIVE-DISORDERS
. The goal is to reach "List-ID" If you are prompted for a password, follow
instructions. You will then need to "Log in". You may also reach these
settings through the link: Subscriber's Corner, just below the blue bar that
says Listserv 16.*

Many thanks to our generous patrons at L-soft, who have donated the software
and other equipment that run the ICORS servers.
L-soft can be visited at www.lsoft.com
ICORS is a non-profit organization at www.icors.org