[humanser] MA in Social Work / MA in Counseling Psychology

JMassay jmassay1 at cox.net
Tue Oct 23 18:01:09 UTC 2012

Hi Chelsea,

Welcome to the list. I, too, may be biased regarding this question. I
recently graduated with my masters in Counseling Psychology and am working
on my supervision  hours towards licensure as an LPC. I primarily work with
children and their families focusing on behavioral issues, depression and
anxiety disorders.

I had no problems in finding work that I wanted to do and am very much
enjoying. That being said.the masters in counseling Psychology will leave
you open to pursue a doctorate if you choose to do so but will also allow
for the option of working with the population that you seem interested in at
the masters level.

I would encourage you to really investigate what kind of work is available
to you with either degree and to honestly ask yourself from which
perspective do you feel most comfortable working. You will be happy with
what is most congruent with you.

Good luck!

Jeannie Massay

Oklahoma