[humanser] Introduction. Starting School to Obtain my MSW

Serena Cucco serena.c.cucco at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 20:06:32 UTC 2013

On 4/22/13, Chasity Jackson <chasityvanda at charter.net> wrote:
> Hello JD and all,
>
> Thank you for the welcome. That is awesome that you're still committed to
> the profession since 1978.
>
> For those who are or were in school obtaining their MSW, how many hours did
> you do per semester, and how did you find was the best way to balance that
> and your field placement? The program that I am going into requires 60 hours
> of course work to graduate. I am just curious to get ideas on how you
> decided to balance your course work and your field placement? I will be
> required to have two and a half days per week at an agency. Just writing to
> get ideas on how others did it. Looking forward to hearing from you.
> Thanks,
> Chasity

Hi Chasity,

I was also required to take 60 credits to graduate.  I was required to
do 2 days per week at the field placement the first year and 3 days
per week my 2nd year.  The first semester, I took all 15 credits,
including field placement as 3 of the credits.  I realized this was a
bit much for me, so I changed to 3 academic classes plus fieldd equals
12 credits, instead.  I also took two summer classes.  The second
year, I did my field placement twice a week, instead of 3, during the
academic year and completed the field placement over the summer.
Since I was going to take an extra semester to finish my classes
regardless, the extended field placement time didn't interfere with
graduation.  I completed my coursework this past fall and will be
graduating in about a month! :)!

Serena