[humanser] Examinations

MARY CHAPPELL MTC5 at COX.NET
Sun Aug 4 02:20:52 UTC 2013

Jeannie,
I applaud your accomplishments with ETS and access with JAWS. When I was
newly blind, brain injury in 2000, and petitioning for the Graduate
Readiness Exam (GRE) I was denied access with screen reading software. That
was 2004 and, nearly 10  years later, not much has changed. Then I was the
vice president of my NFB chapter and vice president of our state student
division. I was so preoccupied with "getting on with my life" having had to
learn to walk, talk, feed myself, breathe  on my own, while acquiring
blindness skills, that I lacked the fire to fight this issue. Today, I do
walk, I definitely talk, and I am continually developing blindness skills (I
suspect I have greater deficits in Braille literacy than you, the brain
injury dampened my nerve sensation and fine motor skills leaving me less
than perceptive with Braille and only able to detect jumbo Braille); all in
all I am undergoing a continual process of overcoming and becoming. I refuse
to allow this discriminatory process of erecting barriers to stop my process
of growth and development. My hope is that a decision will be made that will
allow JAWS but, if it does not happen in time, I will take the exam with the
less than favorable accommodation and go on to fight for those following in
similar pursuit so they will not be without choice in their examination
process.
I thank you, Jeannie, for sharing your story and fight. I trust that
something will be enacted to offer you relief in whatever next steps need be
taken and, in November things will proceed in a manner that will afford you
the fullest success.
Genuinely,
Mary Tatum Chappell