[humanser] Screen Access Software and Licensing Exam

Ericka Short ericka.short at wi.rr.com
Wed Dec 18 00:56:40 UTC 2013

OH NO!!!!!!

I had a great experience yesterday compared to the rest of you.  For those
who do not know , Dec. 16th I took the  ASWB's Bachelor's social work exam
here in  Brookfield WI at the Pearson Vue testing center.  Finding the place
was the hard part.  The staff were cordial, respectful, organized and the
two glitches we did have were taking care of as expediently as possible.
Whether I passed or not is still in the hands of " the process" since I took
paper and pencil rather than computerized.  I wasn't taking any newly used
enlargement software or frozen computer chances.  I feel so bad for you
Merry!  The minor problems I had were the spiral bound test booklet of 101
pages fell apart as I turned pages and the  answers to one question didn't
completely print.  They gave me a clip to keep the pages together and as to
the missing choices issue, they called  the accommodations dept. and  it
took an hour to get a simple solution.  I just worked on and took a lunch
break with the supervisor at the front desk.  I began at 8:30 am and
finished about 1:30 with time to spare.  When I was done I filled out a
survey also in large, 18 point print and then was basically on my way.  I
thank Janelle and Bob for their respect, support and helpfulness.  One thing
that did happen was I don't think I was signed in and out properly  with the
break but I was with staff all the  time except the bathroom break so it
shouldn't affect me.  I am hoping the person who transferred my answers to a
scantron sheet  was accurate.  I asked an they  have a process to maintain
accuracy.  I was concerned because the proctors where changing shifts as
was taking my survey.  Apparently  the proctor transfers answers to the
scantron then the booklet and scantron sheet are mailed priority to the ASWB
and they compare answers versus the sheet before the  scantron is processed.
Yes, I have it wait for the pass/fail news for 10 days but at least I know
they have the double check feature in place.  My bigger problem was brain
freeze and graduating with my BSW 16 years ago. When I filled out the survey
I did mention the need for collaboration between the blind community and
testing boards to create a supportive and respectful process for
professionals to take exams.  I also mentioned it was better to have JAWS
and MAGic with speech which are common programs all blind would be able use
effectively without any extensive training for testing staff rather than
creating their own adaptive software or relying on built in features on the
average computer's accessibility features since they are not always adequate
for persons' particular needs.

I too was praying for and thinking of everyone taking the exams with
accommodations.  Though I didn't wear an NFB shirt I did almost have my cane
in the photo!  It fell off the wall it was leaning against just before the
photo was taken.  Everyone in the waiting room had a good laugh at that!

I hope this story boost spirits a tad and is detailed enough to help with
the ongoing project of improving accommodations.  Oh, Serena, thanks so much
again for the practice manual.  I did brush up studying Sunday night with it
and it helped a lot.

Ericka J. Short
262-697-0510

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". Philippians 4:13

"No hand is too small or too big to do good in this world." EJ. Short