[humanser] Book

JD Townsend 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Sun Dec 22 23:15:31 UTC 2013

Hi Carmella,

It is constantly amazing to me how the word, spoken or written, can change a
person.  In talk psychotherapy, in journalling or in other forms our words
are powerful.  Thank you for sharing a part of your story.

-----Original Message-----
From: Carmella Broome
Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2013 12:27 AM
To: humanser at nfbnet.org
Subject: [humanser] Book

I'm glad my last post went through.  I had trouble getting my  posts to  the
list for a while.

For Ericka and others who may be interested,  My book, Carmella's Quest:
Taking On College Sight  Unseen, is available through interlibrary loan from
the SC State Talking Book Services. I actually recorded it myself in their
studios. It is also available on BookShare and  through Amazon. It is about
my first year at a small  liberal arts college in upstate SC, including my
struggles related to trying to use very limitted vision and come to terms
with my blindness. It also  describes  relationship ups and downs, academics
in general,  some health issues I experienced, and  other aspects of that
first year away from home. It was an eventful and  enlightening few months,
to say the least, and   it made for a pretty entertaining story,I think. It
took place in  fall of 1994 and spring of 1995. Thanks for your interest.
Please let me know if you need more info.

Every day, I  experience how narratives and  people being able to speak
their  truths can be so powerful.  I hear so many  stories about things my
clients have been through and the meaning they make of those experiences and
situations. I think true stories can be so  important, and am honored to be
a memoir author for that reason.  I think we all have stories to share and
perspectives that are so important in creating understanding. No two people
have the  exact same  life journeys or internal  experiences of those
things. I think writing in and of itself can be very helpful as a means of
healing and  growth.  I often encourage clients to journal, blog, or write
imaginary letters. I also  encourage keeping grattitude lists and  lists of
positive events in their lives.  Reading and writing can both be such
important and helpful  adjuncts to talk therapy.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Carmella Broome EdS LPC LMFT in SC