[humanser] INTERVIEWING

JD Townsend 43210 at Bellsouth.net
Tue Dec 24 17:28:51 UTC 2013

Yes.  Get hired and let the accomadations come as they will.

At my work at a hospital we are electronic-fying our records as we speek.  I
will end up dictating using a program, Dragon Dictate, that will translate
into print on the forms.  A program in addition to a screen reader will need
to be purchased by the hospital and an adaptive software person will need to
develop the scripts or apps to make my screen readers do their thing.  It
sounds like a mess, but I forsee a brighter day for all of us as we move
into this data rich environment.  We will be able to access all elements of
the patient's chart - reading psychiatrist, case manager and medical notes
as desired while writing or dictating our documentation and records into a
form that we can easily access independently.

Keep your braille and screen reading skills honed, a better work environment
is fast approaching.

-----Original Message-----
From: Carly Mihalakis
Sent: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 9:57 AM
To: Sandy ; Human Services Mailing List ; 'Human Services Mailing List'
Subject: Re: [humanser] INTERVIEWING

Good morning, all,

Haven't you as blind folks noticed a way people
on mass transit and other places are inclined to
seek out a confidant and most often, they wanna
talk to you?  I call "work."  It is certainly
true that our being therapists is dependent on
more important things than how little, or how
much we see.  You mention how some people prefer
to talk with a clinician who can't see them, and
I heard just that comment from a fairly new
supervisor at the mental health agency I am
temporarily not working at while we clear up how
accommodations will be employed due to the new
electronic health records.  If I work at another
agency, most likely the electronic records will
be problematic.  At an interview, do I briefly
speak of how the paperwork gets done despite the
records, handwritten files, etc.? Do I simply
state that I am able to do the paperwork, and get
in to accommodations when I am hired? Sandy
Burgess, LCSW
From: "JD Townsend" <43210 at Bellsouth.net> Sent:
Wednesday, October 16, 2013 10:29 PM To: "'Human
Services Mailing List'" <humanser at nfbnet.org>
Subject: [humanser] INTERVIEWING > > > how would
you handle it if you're trying to talk about your
skills as a > social worker and the employer
keeps referring back to the blindness? >
Alyssa, > > I might try to be casual, but
ask: > > > “You seem fascinated by
blindness.  I can assure you that I can and
will > be timely with the paperwork, excellent
with my clients and an involved > team member, my
disability has nothing to do with that, but I’d
be happy > > to tell you how I shop, dress and
cross-country ski if that’ll get me the >
job? > > > “If your blindness questions  center
around wondering if I can keep up, if > you
wonder how I’ll accomplish my daily tasks,
trust me, I’ll show you my > productivity, my
writing talent, and my clinical successes.” > >
“It’s funny, but a blind psychotherapist I
know asks how the light > dependent do all of
that with ink on paper.  He’s the most
productive > worker at his job and has a great
reputation as a clinician.” > > > “You have
lots of questions for me, now let me ask you
about the agency > and how you see me in this
position.” > > “I have found that many
clients feel more comfortable with a therapist
who > is blind and they address their core issues
more readily, feeling less > judged.” > > “I
have found that many of the clients you have
described feel disabled by > their mental
illnesses and feel more comfortable discussing
their issues > with a therapist who is also
disabled.” > > “You may be concerned that you
would not be able to do this job if you > lost
your sight.  Let me assure you, should that
happen, with good > rehabilitation and a positive
attitude you would.  I have had that >
rehabilitation and I have that attitude
now.” > > >
get your account info for > humanser: >
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/humanser_nfbnet.org/sandraburgess%40msn.com

To unsubscribe, change your list options or get
your account info for humanser:
http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/humanser_nfbnet.org/carlymih%40comcast.net
</x-flowed>