[humanser] Drivers license requirement for employment

Ericka Short ericka.short at wi.rr.com
Sun Dec 29 00:16:10 UTC 2013

I know WI still has blind "Office of the Blind" counselors and they use
hired drivers. The OOB is different than the other states' commission for
the blind so don't get confused.  They only work with the newly blinded and
elderly.  It makes no sense to have services for the blind in three
places--DVR helps the disabled get hired, the state school does summer
school programs and is mostly a resource for public school districts with
blind/vi kids.  Each county has their own Aging and Disability Resource
Center but they are not all well informed. mostly serve the over 65 crowd.
The state school still offers a residential program but it's for the
multiply handicapped of which blind is the least of their problems.  At
least that's run by the NFB and many of the staff are vi or totals.

Most of our state isn't' well served. Madison and Milwaukee have programs
but they do not necessarily  serve people outside their area.  Years about
the Madison WI Council of the blind would go an hour out of town to serve
clients.  I don't know if they still do that.  Milwaukee's Vision Froward
doesn't come out of the Metro area.  Kenosha has nothing.  I know some
counselors have sent people to the Chicago Lighthouse for training.   There
used to be a program in Northern WI (Wausau) but I heard that closed.  I
know some counselors have sent people to the Chicago Lighthouse for
training.  Too bad it's still hard to get training paid by WI to attend
BLIND Inc..  Restructuring for efficacy should be the focus of our dear
Gov's work not taking funds from programs.   PLEASE if he runs for President
do not vote for him!!!!  You will be very sorry.  He's up for reelection and
I think he'll get a rude awaking in Nov.

Ericka J. Short
262-697-0510

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me". Philippians 4:13

"No hand is too small or too big to do good in this world." EJ. Short